Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

SoJie 14 Workshop (locked)

Susan  Kimball Susan Kimball 477 posts

So I have one last question…am I allowed to do photographic translation with using layers in photohop? I have a final final image using layers but I don’t want to break the rules. Thanks!

Marsha Free Marsha Free 276 posts

@Antionette – I love it! I love the flowers and the colors and I wish we had those here in the US! They are beautiful! Thank you for a beautful “live” translation!

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36340 posts

Wait wait hold the line.

Joseph, as I have said before, and warned after your open note to Tahnja, here, there is no stacking.
The agreement with Tahnja is out for the workshop

You have not finished (or even started) Laura’s painting, before posting a second agreement with Tahnja.
And at this point the agreement won’t be accepted later into the workshop either. If you want to translate it,
outside of the workshop, that’s between you and Tahnja, of course.

Tahnja, I’m going to untag your work, so that it’s open to other Traditional translators. Hope you understand.

Everyone just ignore that agreement, and Qnita, please remove it from any list. Thanks.
[edit. I’ve removed the agreements and announcement.]

The reason there is the “no stacking” rule is because it’s unfair to other participants for one or more persons
to line up 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th choices, thereby taking them off the market for other participants for whom they
may have been 1st choices even. It’s just simply not fair to others and if allowed, some would sense that it
wasn’t fair and not do it themselves, and then become despondent seeing others line up all that they would
have selected.

Hope that makes it clear WHY stacking is not allowed in the workshop.

I know Joseph didn’t mean it to be unfair; but rather was simply eager to line Tahnja’s work up.

But, I have to make an example of how important this is by not allowing the translation to be made LATER
in the workshop that would result from this agreement. So that’s why the translation by Joseph won’t be
submittable to the workshop or the SoJie 14 exhibition.

That said, Solo and the SoJie workshop or exhibition are purposely not party to those agreements and
aren’t mentioned, so that the agreement is still valid between the two artists, outside of the workshop.
I have no doubt that the work will be ultimately completed and beautiful; and that is a reward in itself.

Wow, @Antionette, that sure did translate well to Marsha’s painting! I first wondered if it was a photo manipulation, then read how you cleverly composed it. Fantastic and so pretty!! Like Marsha’s!

Marsha Free Marsha Free 276 posts

I am really excited to translate Niki’s work!

AGREEMENT FOR TRANSLATION OF TRADITIONAL ART*

1. TERMS. The term AGREEMENT refers to this Agreement for Translation of Traditional Art. The term ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK shall refer to the original traditional artwork, represented by the posted submission to Solo Exhibition’s SoJie 14 Workshop. The term ARTWORK shall refer to the resulting translation of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, to a traditional art medium; photographic art medium, including straight photography; or digital art medium; pursuant to the AGREEMENT. The term ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the original digital artwork. The term ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the ARTWORK which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK. The term GENRE shall refer to the general category of medium for the translated work, either “Photographic Art”, “Digital Art”, or “Traditional Art”, pursuant to Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibition guidelines. The term THIRD PARTIES shall refer to any entity not the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and not the ARTIST, who or which may come in contact with either the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK or the ARTWORK in the course of business.

2.Niki Hilsabeck, hereinafter “ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST” grants Marsha FREE, hereinafter “ARTIST” the right to use Reflection, hereinafter “ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK”, as a reference for ONE ARTWORK, in the following GENRE, only: TRADITIONAL ART

3. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST has not given any other ARTIST the right to translate in the same GENRE.

4. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST promises ARTIST that no stock elements or works purportedly in the public domain, or elements created by THIRD PARTIES were used within the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.

5. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST retains full copyright over the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ARTWORK.

6. ARTIST retains full copyright of their own ARTWORK, which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.

7. ARTIST SHOULD give credit to ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST as follows for the reference for the ARTWORK:
a. when the ARTWORK is presented in an electronic medium, ARTIST should provide in a description, when possible, a working link to ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST or ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
b. when the ARTWORK is presented in a live setting, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
c. when the ARTWORK is presented in a publication, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
d. when the original ARTWORK is sold, where the ARTIST has control, the name of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and title of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK shall be included in the invoice, description area as a reference.

8. If the ARTWORK is a near replication, or uses the composition of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, or closely follows the style of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, then the subtitle of the work SHOULD appropriately include wording like: …after xxxx’s “originating-work-title”.
Make obvious substitutions, and linking either the work, the artist’s name, or both, if links are possible, as per Paragraph 7 in this AGREEMENT.

9. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ARTIST, each hold harmless current or future THIRD PARTIES from enforcing any specific obligations between ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ARTIST.

10. No additional terms in this agreement shall negate, or make ineffective the agreement in these paragraphs, 1 – 10.

11. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST AND ARTIST have additionally agreed to the below statements:
(add additional agreements below, including any requests for larger format files, discounts on translated works, etc.)

I AGREE AND HAVE TAGGED THE WORK in the Catalog, ACCORDING TO THE RULES.

ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST:

Niki Hilsabeck
Date:9/12/11

AGREED by ARTIST: Marsha Free
Date: September 12, 2011

@Susan, the work is scrumptious!! For photographic translations, you can do typical photo lab stuff in photoshop:
Dodge/Burn/Contrast

And in the photographic art category, TEXTURES are allowed.

LOVE your translation. It’s just fabulous and was fun to follow you gathering your props. But if you want to tweak it
and post a final final, then you are welcome to do so. We would place you in the exhibition according to the timing of
the final final though. If that doesn’t matter, then go for it.

@Elisabeth Dubois, this is wonderful. I love that you are “the tree” so to speak, responding to the storm. You are stretching in these workshops now and it’s wonderful to see. Your work reminds me of modern dance which I so love (and loved to perform once upon a time). So I am relating to it in that unique way.

@Gili, oh, here it comes again – your unique quality of brilliance. The “innocent” seems to be reaching out, while “other” forces are reaching in. I’m glued.

@Subhrajit, you’ve chose a very sensitive interpretation of the core esprit in Antionette’s work – that is the bond of love and dependency between mother and child. I love that you have focused on it, by bringing the visual into close-up perspective . Seems you are almost there. Oh! I see you have finished. Great connection. And I think YOU feel it, which brings it home to the viewer, too.

@Beatrice, positive thoughts go out your way, for you and especially your grandson today.

Susan  Kimball Susan Kimball 477 posts

FINAL VERSION
Ok, and thanks Frannie! This is the final version after I couldn’t leave it alone. I’ll keep you and your family in my thoughts Beatrice and now I can actually be present to see what others are doing here ♥

I can’t leave well enough alone
by Susan Kimball

annihoo annihoo 231 posts

Susan: NICE!!! I really like what you did to this final version! Congratulations!

Fabulous @Susan! Love that I can still see that lace. It adds such a beautiful, feminine touch. You really know how to put textures to good use!

© Janis Zroback © Janis Zroback 6810 posts

Love the additional textures Susan…

Antoinette…the Clivia was inspirational…wonderful translation…

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Lovely finish, Samantha!!
Susan…! It looks so good!
Beautiful Antionette!

linaji linaji 6633 posts

Oh wow Susan!! I love this finish!!!

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Announcement:

Reflection (pastel)
by Niki Hilsabeck

Traditional work will be translated to Traditional art by Marsha Free.

Congratulations Niki and Marsha!

Linda Bianic Linda Bianic 3145 posts

@ frannie,, love your new avatar,, what a babe!! and your translation is superb!

@ Christina,,,fabulous piece,,,,, congrats on completion!

@ Keith…cant wait to see where that amazing creative mind takes you,,

@ linji,,,, love the translation,,,,

I’ll get back later,, got to see my bone doctor,, snap, crackle, pop… ouch!! lol

@Linda, I think I was disqualified from the “babe” category long time ago. In fact, I almost reached for the dictionary.
Just did a t-shirt shot for someone and swiped the head from it for the avatar. The other one was getting old although
I still like it better than this. Thanks about the translation. It’s your turn now! :))

lilynoelle lilynoelle 1059 posts

Subhraji, gorgeous and almost pleading work.
Susan, I LOVED seeing the whole process! I like it with and without layering. The lace is beautiful, and I loved the tablecloth!
Samantha, WOW, as usual your work takes my breath away.
Elisabeth, I’m really looking forward to seeing where you’ll take this. :)

Lily

Lucinda Walter Lucinda Walter 9643 posts

Stunning final work Susan. Congratulations to all new translations. Love your new avatar Frannie!

@ Subhrajit beautiful work.

Elisabeth Dubois Elisabeth Dubois 1057 posts

SUMMARY – TIME TO PLAY WITH THE BACKGROUND. I have twisted, accentuated stretched and pulled the image until I have what I am looking for. A more fierce stormy background. Elisabeth Dubois.

Storm / Raw Emotion wip#3
by Elisabeth Dubois

Raw Emotion Journal

Elisabeth Dubois Elisabeth Dubois 1057 posts

@ Susan, wonderful finish. I love the warm filter used to finish.

@Subhrajit. great finish, so much love showed by the mother.

@ Gili, you have such imagination. I love it.

@Antionette. Those flowers are almost identical in color. This should be an interesting finish

Robin Webster Robin Webster 615 posts

WIP-1 & 2 translation of Wilt’s Tranforms
I have gathered the things I would like to use for my image. Starting to play around with my arangement and composition

@Frannie Love your new avatar!
@Beatrice You are in my thoughts..hope all work out well with your grandsons surgery.
@Everyone The WIP’s are fantastic! What an awesome SoJie! They just keep getting better and better!

AsEyeSee AsEyeSee 231 posts

And so my journey begins to photographically translate
Janis Zroback’s Storm

I’m an abstract photographer that likes to “find” my images. I don’t do any setup or staging, so my WsIP have to include my travels & adventures, and my thought process along the way. That being said, I started out on a waterbike peddling along the Erie Canal. Oh wait! What is a waterbike, you ask? Here, I’ll let my husband demonstrate……… Hi, Honey! Wave to all my friends in the Sojie 14 Workshop!! Perfect.

Now, while waterbiking along the Erie Canal in the city section, there is a concrete wall on either side of the canal. This is where I saw a lot of really interesting stress and environmental cracks and fissures that I thought would make some really neat abstract photos. And since I had my camera with me, it seemed like a good idea at the time. There was one in particular that caught my eye. I got as close as I could to the wall while still on my bike, but the waves and current just didn’t cooperate. I took the photo, but it isn’t quite up to the quality that I was hoping for.

WIP #1

But spying this gorgeous “tree” gave me an idea for this photographic translation. Ah, the lightbulb moment!! I knew exactly where we needed to go! So we headed back to shore, dismounted from our hydrocycles, and headed east along the canal till we reached Lockport, NY.