Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

SoJie 12 - Workshop (locked)

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37018 posts

@Richard, yes publish!! Wow, GORGEOUS, accomplished work, Richard. What a fabulous piece. You and Igor should maybe collaborate again some time. Fabulous!! Your layering seems effortless. Beautiful blends and translucency. BRAVO!!

You can do another, just let me know, as a number of offers are going out.

@Iain and Rob, congratulations!!! Delighted for you, Iain, as Rob is an incredible artist. I’m so excited to see your photograph translated!

Congratulations Igor Shrayer and Richard Sunderland on gaining your respective spots in SoJie 12!

The completed-works lineup for the show is now:
001. Eliza1Anna (P: Touched by the sun…)
002. Randi Antonsen (T: come rain or come shine)
003. Isa Rodriguez (P: soup of the day)
004. Janis Zroback (T: Simple Abundance…Onions)
005. Dave Godden (P: St Thomas Becket – From the West)
006. Jim Phillips (T: St Thomas Becket – From the West)
007. Jenn77 (P: Waiting in line for a lady)
008. Sally Sargent (T: Let the Show Begin)
009. Ali Brown (P: Spanish Translation)
010. Elizabeth Bravo (T: Malagenya)
011. AsEyeSee (P: Shine Down)
012. Kathie Nichols (T: FireWater)
013. Kathie Nichols (P: Portrait in the Rock)
014. Edy4sure (T: Portrait In the Rock)
015. AndreaEl (P: Holding the Apple Up! – Wax Eye NZ – Southland)
016. Qnita (T: AndreaEL’s “Holding the Apple Up!” in Pastel…)
017. Plunder (P: The Boots)
018. Dianne Ilka (T: Lest We Forget)
019. Þórdis B. (P: Hvalsnes-Church)
020. Janis Zroback (T: The Wasteland)
021. Brian Pelkey (P: Dance of the Trout)
022. ArtPearl (T: Tutoring My Trout)
023. Christina Backus (P: Lucca, Italy)
024. Dianne Ilka (T: Italian Coffee Break)
025. Nathalie Chaput (P: Catherine)
026. Cate Townsend (T: The Girl from Montreal)
027. Randy Sprout (P: Camille in Ferndale)
028. Maria Medeiros (T: A Walk in the Garden)
029. caradione (P: Untitled)
030. Laura Barber-Riley (T: In a Corner)
031. John Holding (P: Yellow Breasted Robin)
032. Elena Oleniuc (T: Forest Song)
033. John Poon (P: Black Sage Dawn)
034. Sue Nichol (T: The Return of Val Haynes)
035. Wendy Brusca (P: Belly)
036. Elizabeth Bravo (T: Think Again)
037. ValRosePhotography (P: The Gaze)
038. Samantha Aplin (T: The Awakening)
039. Jason Asher (P: As Aeons Pass…)
040. Rob Beilby (T: Australian Sunset)
041. a~m (P: Ghost Gums in the Fog)
042. Janelle McKain (T: Ghost Gums in the Fog)
043. Mark Richards (P: Old Bathtub on Rooftop – Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia)
044. Sally Sargent (T: Changes: in the Weather (for Sojie 12))
045. Spiritinme (P: FLYING INTO THE LIGHT)
046. Elisabeth Dubois (T: Erupting Sky)
047. George Lenz (P: Roots)
048. Marsha Free (T: Roots Grow Deep)
049. Jacinthe Brault (P: Monument Valley 1)
050. Gerard Mignot (T: Monument Valley)
051. ChrisArmytage (P: Sunshine and laughter)
052. Tahnja (T: Child of God)
053. Joe Meirose (P: St. Lawrence River in Spring)
054. Antionette (T: St Lawrence river in spring)
055. Clare Colins (P: a little girl in a hurry)
056. Denise Martin (T: Girl in a Hurry)
057. Annlynn Ward (P: Rhododendron Sunrise)
058. Antionette (T: Rhododendron Sunrise)
059. Darcy Grizzle (P: Aspens & Creek)
060. ArtPearl (T: Rethinking The Balance)
061. Emilie Trammell (P: Endless Tulips)
062. Elisabeth Dubois (T: A Flower in Disguise)
063. Robin Webster (P: The Power of One)
064. Qnita (T: Robin Webster’s Snow Scene… Niagara Falls Ontario, Canada.)
065. Lucinda Walter (P: Stairway to Blue Domed Church)
066. Tatyana (T: tentative: Stairway to Blue Domed Church)
067. Mike Finley (P: fragments – ‘poppies’)
068. Kathie Nichols (T: Wild Poppies)
069. SuddenJim (P: On The Town)
070. Qnita (T: Downtown With Sudden Jim’s Hat)
071. Alissa Brunskill (P: Of Earth #1)
072. ArtPearl (T: Introvert in Observatory)
073. Jean M. Laffitau (P: El Alma del Tango)
074. Maria Paterson (T: The Tango)
075. Angela King-Jones (P: Mistake)
076. Rob Beilby (T: Autumn Tranquility)
077. Veikko Suikkanen (P: Summer morning at 5.05)
078. Rob Beilby (T: Golden Finland Morning)
079. George Row (P: Bunglas – Highest Sea Cliffs in Europe?)
080. Gerard Mignot (T: Cliffs)
081. Rebecca Cozart (P: All Lined Up)
082. Elizabeth Kendall (T: Autumn makes me sing)
083. Konstantinos Arvanitopoulos (P: Deadvlei)
084. Mary Sedici (T: DeadVlei- Namibia)
085. billyboy (P: Insignificance)
086. Janis Zroback (T: Procession)
087. Antonello Incagnone (P: LONELY)
088. Sam Aplin (T: Carpe Diem)
089. Anne-Marie Bokslag (P: Cassowary)
090. Dianne Ilka (T: King of the Daintree)
091. Bunny Clarke (P: Reflected Dreams)
092. Niki Hilsabeck (T: Bolsa Chica Grebe (acrylic))
093. Linda Bianic (P: Alberta Gallery of Art, abstract)
094. Kathie Nichols (T: New Moon)
095. lamiel (P: Little Feet)
096. Elisabeth Dubois (T: Afternoon Siesta)
097. Rene Fuller (P: The long walk…)
098. Sue Nichol (T: Starry, Starry Light)
099. Igor Shrayer (P: Forsaken House IV…)
100. Richard Sunderland (T: Forsaken…Not Forgotten)

@Antionette, I love what you are doing with the water. Bringing in the yellow, the way I’m seeing it, adds an impressionist element that actually looks great with this work. Fabulous. You’re nearly there!! Keep posting!

@Robin, is looking good. I like your background, very muted and atmospheric and perfect foil for the brighter foreground. Can’t wait to see what you do. I’ve heard some of your ideas, but you always bring things together in unexpected ways!

edy4sure edy4sure 676 posts

@Richard: A very aesthetic work as indeed. I’m blown away by the varied media used, the colors and most of all, the process, which I think is key to the success of this workshop. Congratulations & thank you for sharing this process with us. I may not buy this but it’s definitely one of my all time favourites :D

skywatcher skywatcher 43 posts

My pleasure Rob, Can’t wait to see the finished painting – We Geordies have to stick together :)

Richard Sunderland Richard Sunder... 1298 posts

@Frannie, the response has been amazing, such generous thoughts by everyone. I will not say no to doing another but will have to wait and see, the moment I enjoyed with igor’s was very special and I don’t want to loose that sensation, I’m feeding off it at present , but it would make sense to get my teeth straight into another.

I’m looking forward to the show now, and seeing all the finished pieces with their photographs.

Richard Sunderland Richard Sunder... 1298 posts

@Eddy, just the thought you might buy is a big deal, thank you. You are a bit of a whizz with the media and I appreciate that you have followed my work so closely.

Gerard Mignot Gerard Mignot 79 posts

@Richard. Like your style

I’ve finished my painting, and Rhoufi is preparing something about his photograph and what has gone into it. I’ve shared my final with him, and am waiting on his sign to publish and post here.

In the meantime I’ going to do some catch-up work for Solo’s pages on Facebook.

Marsha Free Marsha Free 281 posts

Here is WIP #2 for “A Beautiful Calm” – I have started to sketch in the trees and hills and now that I have a WONDERFUL HD photo from which I can translate the “spirit” – I will add that within the next day or two. I am having a great time while working on this in tandem with a painting for my daughter’s 20th birthday on Tuesday. When her gift needs to dry, I work on this one. I didn’t have as much “painting time” today because Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was the focal point of this afternoon for my family. I tried to enhance the photo so you could see the sketching a little more clearly.

WIP #3 will come sometime tomorrow afternoon! Hope everyone has a great night!

WIP #2 A Beautiful Calm
by Marsha Free

Announcing:

Sky Clouds
by Iain Mavin

will be translated by Rob Beilby

Congratulations Iain and Rob !

Qnita can no longer work on a fourth, so Joanne Bradley’s image (page 3) is back up for the taking!

Thanks so much @Qnita for your participation in the workshop! We’ll see you at SoJie 12 at the end of August!

Those colors, @Marsha, are just like Viki’s! Gorgeous and mysterious.

Dianne  Ilka Dianne Ilka 965 posts

I can’t wait to see how you approach this one Qnita! Wow no 4! I’m beginning to think you may be addicted to this LOL!

Shadows Don’t Lie
by F.A. Moore

Medium: Oil on stretched, acid-free, cotton canvas
Dimensions: original: 18 × 14 in

This work was painted during the SoJie 12 workshop, and translates Rhoufi’s gorgeous black and white photograph, “Waiting for Miracles”.

In Rhoufi’s photograph, it seemed to me, that the man was looking through the classifieds for a job. I thought, he’s doing this in a public place, yet is all alone, harrowed, frustrated, concerned. They say the best place to hide is in public.

With those thoughts, I immediately conceived my take on this: partial b&w, partial color, semi-abstract work, to explore the two worlds in which the man lives –

1. the normal world of family and friends, where he wears his “game face”; and,
  2. in this shadowy world of loss and despair over present circumstances.

Waiting for Miracles
by Rhoufi

Shadows Don’t Lie
by F.A. Moore

Rhoufi Rhoufi 306 posts

My anticipation has been so well rewarded. Thank you Frannie, your painting makes me feel exactly the same way that I did when I saw this young man, alone at the table, with his head on his hand, reading the newspaper. That same sudden rush of recognition of meaning that caused me to raise the camera in the first place, jumps out from your painting. You have also used my favourite form of traditional art – abstract impressionism. To me it was the perfect way to interpret this photo. Some people do not see the intended meaning in my photo, because they only see clinical reportage. But your impressionistic interpretation has intensified the meaning that I thought I captured in my photo. This is the flagship photo of my “Alone in the City” series from last year.

What I see in your painting is a front of darkness creeping across the scene, from left to right, towards the seated figure, head resting in his hand, deep in his own depressive thoughts, and unaware of the colourful life behind him. If he looks up from his resigned, dejected posture, all he sees is approaching gloom. But behind him is colour; he just has to turn himself around.

Having read all the painters discussing the way they create and enhance ambiance, meaning, texture… even “feel”, I thought the Workshop might be interested in how photographers (well me anyway) do the same with their images. Some just post exactly what comes from the camera, content somehow that their machine has done perfect work. Others realize they still have artistic control by adjusting the ambiance of the image – by processing for particular effect. By this, I don’t mean tampering with the truth of the image by deleting objects from the scene or adding things that were never there. Honesty is critical in photography, people believe them. Tonal control is all that is needed to enhance the meaning.

Street photography is very different to studio photography where everything is set-up and composed and controlled (lighting, model, props). In street photography you go out into the world to see what’s happening. You take your camera, your sensibilities and your anticipation, and you work with whatever the world gives you: light, background, subjects, movement… and everything is fluid and can change on you in a split second. You will come across a scene that triggers some kind of “emotional meaning” in your brain and you will have to respond very quickly to capture it. It won’t be perfect, how could it be? Life cannot be organized into a rectangle of 1:1.5 proportions. But you do your best, in that fleeting moment you have been given, to capture the scene and its meaning.

When you process the image, you have many colour and light variables to work with. For me “Waiting for Miracles” did not suit colour. The colour version was too cheerful for what I saw in the forms. Black and White suits a photograph heavy with “form” and/or “meaning”. Colour can seduce the eye and distract the viewer from seeing these forms. I did not want colour to interfere in this way. I wanted a “noir” feeling.

Because I shoot in RAW (.DNG format), I have vastly more control over the colour and light than with *.JPEG format. Even after desaturating the image to Black and White (greyscale), the colour data remains embedded in the RAW file and allows you to change the shades of black, white, grey and everything in between, of many objects depending on their original colour.

So when processing this image, I played with all the colour and light tools that the software (Lightroom 2.7) provides to affect mood: brightness; contrast; fill light; highlight intensity; and hue, saturation and luminance of the 8 spectrum colours. I increased the contrast to make it more stark; deepened the blacks and shadows to weigh it down and to suppress the chalk writing on the menu board out front; and finally I cropped it to exclude any peripheral objects that might distract the eye and draw attention away from the mood I wanted to reinforce. There are four, essential focal points in the photo: the solitary man and his newspaper; the empty tables around him; the waitress toiling in the kitchen; and the family dining in the top right corner.

So the final photo you see now has been worked on to enhance the particular mood that motivated the capture in the first place. It seems to me that this is very similar to what the traditional artists do when creating their own particular works. So I think we are not so different in our motivations and methods, and SoJie 12 Workshop has brought us all together in a spectacular way to provide immense inspiration and cooperation.

I am so pleased to be part of it and to have Frannie honour my photo by translating into another language, in such a beautiful way.

Thank you @Rhoufi. Your work, your photograph is truly impressive. I love reading about you approached to finishing your photograph. As for the workshop, there was no reason to replicate it, because the message is clear and perfect. I’m so glad you allowed me to interpret it in this way. It was truly a personal challenge that I enjoyed. :)

Niki Hilsabeck Niki Hilsabeck 310 posts

What a beautiful collaboration, Frannie and Rhoufi! Both have a strong feeling of shadow and despair, but are different in their own ways…the photo makes me think of the end of the day or late at night, when public places are dark and lonely. The painting makes me think of how it feels when that despair creeps over you in the bright light of day, remnding you that you are all alone, as life is moving along oblivious to your plight.

I reallly enjoyed reading your posts on this, nice job! Frannie, I’m doubly impressed that you worked in oil over such a short period and maintained all of those sharp edges and lights

Marsha Free Marsha Free 281 posts

@Frannie – Love it! Love it! You have definitely inspired me and have given me cause to give my new translation more abstract detail than I had originally planned – thank you for that!

@Niki, thanks for noting the differences, as well recognizing the similarities. I worked in fairly thin layers and left usually 2 days in between. This is my first work, so you can see that I really am pretty slow. The black I left until the last two sessions mainly, because it seems to take longer to dry.

@Marsha, wow, thanks!! I’m glad you are inspired to have more abstract detail. Abstract is a very useful method when you want the painting to be INTERACTIVE, meaning you are open to the audience having their own interpretation.

Congratulations Rhoufi and F.A. Moore (hey, that’s me!) on gaining y(our) respective spots in SoJie 12!

The completed-works lineup for the show is now:
001. Eliza1Anna (P: Touched by the sun…)
002. Randi Antonsen (T: come rain or come shine)
003. Isa Rodriguez (P: soup of the day)
004. Janis Zroback (T: Simple Abundance…Onions)
005. Dave Godden (P: St Thomas Becket – From the West)
006. Jim Phillips (T: St Thomas Becket – From the West)
007. Jenn77 (P: Waiting in line for a lady)
008. Sally Sargent (T: Let the Show Begin)
009. Ali Brown (P: Spanish Translation)
010. Elizabeth Bravo (T: Malagenya)
011. AsEyeSee (P: Shine Down)
012. Kathie Nichols (T: FireWater)
013. Kathie Nichols (P: Portrait in the Rock)
014. Edy4sure (T: Portrait In the Rock)
015. AndreaEl (P: Holding the Apple Up! – Wax Eye NZ – Southland)
016. Qnita (T: AndreaEL’s “Holding the Apple Up!” in Pastel…)
017. Plunder (P: The Boots)
018. Dianne Ilka (T: Lest We Forget)
019. Þórdis B. (P: Hvalsnes-Church)
020. Janis Zroback (T: The Wasteland)
021. Brian Pelkey (P: Dance of the Trout)
022. ArtPearl (T: Tutoring My Trout)
023. Christina Backus (P: Lucca, Italy)
024. Dianne Ilka (T: Italian Coffee Break)
025. Nathalie Chaput (P: Catherine)
026. Cate Townsend (T: The Girl from Montreal)
027. Randy Sprout (P: Camille in Ferndale)
028. Maria Medeiros (T: A Walk in the Garden)
029. caradione (P: Untitled)
030. Laura Barber-Riley (T: In a Corner)
031. John Holding (P: Yellow Breasted Robin)
032. Elena Oleniuc (T: Forest Song)
033. John Poon (P: Black Sage Dawn)
034. Sue Nichol (T: The Return of Val Haynes)
035. Wendy Brusca (P: Belly)
036. Elizabeth Bravo (T: Think Again)
037. ValRosePhotography (P: The Gaze)
038. Samantha Aplin (T: The Awakening)
039. Jason Asher (P: As Aeons Pass…)
040. Rob Beilby (T: Australian Sunset)
041. a~m (P: Ghost Gums in the Fog)
042. Janelle McKain (T: Ghost Gums in the Fog)
043. Mark Richards (P: Old Bathtub on Rooftop – Darlinghurst, Sydney, Australia)
044. Sally Sargent (T: Changes: in the Weather (for Sojie 12))
045. Spiritinme (P: FLYING INTO THE LIGHT)
046. Elisabeth Dubois (T: Erupting Sky)
047. George Lenz (P: Roots)
048. Marsha Free (T: Roots Grow Deep)
049. Jacinthe Brault (P: Monument Valley 1)
050. Gerard Mignot (T: Monument Valley)
051. ChrisArmytage (P: Sunshine and laughter)
052. Tahnja (T: Child of God)
053. Joe Meirose (P: St. Lawrence River in Spring)
054. Antionette (T: St Lawrence river in spring)
055. Clare Colins (P: a little girl in a hurry)
056. Denise Martin (T: Girl in a Hurry)
057. Annlynn Ward (P: Rhododendron Sunrise)
058. Antionette (T: Rhododendron Sunrise)
059. Darcy Grizzle (P: Aspens & Creek)
060. ArtPearl (T: Rethinking The Balance)
061. Emilie Trammell (P: Endless Tulips)
062. Elisabeth Dubois (T: A Flower in Disguise)
063. Robin Webster (P: The Power of One)
064. Qnita (T: Robin Webster’s Snow Scene… Niagara Falls Ontario, Canada.)
065. Lucinda Walter (P: Stairway to Blue Domed Church)
066. Tatyana (T: tentative: Stairway to Blue Domed Church)
067. Mike Finley (P: fragments – ‘poppies’)
068. Kathie Nichols (T: Wild Poppies)
069. SuddenJim (P: On The Town)
070. Qnita (T: Downtown With Sudden Jim’s Hat)
071. Alissa Brunskill (P: Of Earth #1)
072. ArtPearl (T: Introvert in Observatory)
073. Jean M. Laffitau (P: El Alma del Tango)
074. Maria Paterson (T: The Tango)
075. Angela King-Jones (P: Mistake)
076. Rob Beilby (T: Autumn Tranquility)
077. Veikko Suikkanen (P: Summer morning at 5.05)
078. Rob Beilby (T: Golden Finland Morning)
079. George Row (P: Bunglas – Highest Sea Cliffs in Europe?)
080. Gerard Mignot (T: Cliffs)
081. Rebecca Cozart (P: All Lined Up)
082. Elizabeth Kendall (T: Autumn makes me sing)
083. Konstantinos Arvanitopoulos (P: Deadvlei)
084. Mary Sedici (T: DeadVlei- Namibia)
085. billyboy (P: Insignificance)
086. Janis Zroback (T: Procession)
087. Antonello Incagnone (P: LONELY)
088. Sam Aplin (T: Carpe Diem)
089. Anne-Marie Bokslag (P: Cassowary)
090. Dianne Ilka (T: King of the Daintree)
091. Bunny Clarke (P: Reflected Dreams)
092. Niki Hilsabeck (T: Bolsa Chica Grebe (acrylic))
093. Linda Bianic (P: Alberta Gallery of Art, abstract)
094. Kathie Nichols (T: New Moon)
095. lamiel (P: Little Feet)
096. Elisabeth Dubois (T: Afternoon Siesta)
097. Rene Fuller (P: The long walk…)
098. Sue Nichol (T: Starry, Starry Light)
099. Igor Shrayer (P: Forsaken House IV…)
100. Richard Sunderland (T: Forsaken…Not Forgotten)
101. Rhoufi (P: Waiting for Miracles)
102. F.A. Moore (T: Shadows Don’t Lie)

subhraj1t subhraj1t 130 posts

@F.A. Moore, yes its watercolor. Congratulations to you for your fantastic translation!! Its AMAZING!!

@Elisabeth Dubois, @Richard Sunderland and @Sue Nichol, congrats to you all too! Your works are awesome!

by Subhrajit Datta

Made the color of the hills a bit milder..finished working on the background.

by Subhrajit Datta

Working on the branches and shrubs, lots of detailing remaining…..

©Janis Zroback ©Janis Zroback 7959 posts

I only have time for a brief comment tonight, so will keep to this page…Congratulations everyone….Frannie, your finished work is tremendously evocative of Hopper….there is so much loneliness here…the somber colours and lost edges add mystery and intrigue the viewer….really lovely work…
Richard, you already know how much I love your final work…Subhrajit, I am in love with it already…Marsha, I can tell that this is going to be wonderful…the whole effect is very soothing…

@Janis Zroback, thank you so much!!