Shop

Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

SoJie 12 - Workshop (locked)

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36156 posts

@Kathie this is a beauty as it stands. I love the softness of it at this point.

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3260 posts

Thanks Frannie. I was undecided at this point for a little while as to whether I should add more, as I quite liked the softness as well…..but as I love textures so much I have added more…..just a few more to go now :)

@Rhoufi, great to see you here! The detail in your photograph is amazing in close up. I feel fortunate to see it, Rhoufi, in the file you sent.

As you know, I’m going to approach this from the life’s-moment perspective of the man at the table. So not all of your details will be captured in my translation.

But this is also a lesson in what makes photography in a league of its own. You can capture amazing details that most artists either cannot or do not wish to. I love your photograph. Thank you so much, Rhoufi, for allowing me to create a painting based on it. I am very grateful.

© Janis Zroback © Janis Zroback 6572 posts

My good ness…this is exciting….I fascinated by your process Frannie as it’s different from how I work and don’t quite understand it yet but I will I’m sure as you post more WIPs ……
Elizabeth that is stupendous work…absolutely lovely interpretation….I am spell bound by the other WIPs as well

@Janis, I normally do not work this way. But, since I do want to capture some of the perspective, I did want to sketch the main guide lines

Now, I’m not sure how I’m going to paint the way I paint, and keep the lines. By tomorrow, I’ll know, I guess. :)

I’m going to be off for a bit. But please carry on. I know there are some offers out there.

Artists, please posts your works in progress, WHILE you are in progress. :)

Looking forward to seeing more!

Niki Hilsabeck Niki Hilsabeck 306 posts

AGREEMENT FOR TRANSLATION OF PHOTOGRAPHIC ART TO TRADITIONAL ART

1. TERMS. The term PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK shall refer to the original photograph, represented by the posted submission to Solo Exhibition’s SoJie 12 Workshop. The term ARTWORK shall refer to the resulting translation of the PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK, to a traditional art medium. The term PHOTOGRAPHER shall refer to the creator of the original PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK. The term ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the ARTWORK, which is a translation of the original PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK. The term THIRD PARTIES shall refer to any entity not the PHOTOGRAPHER and not the ARTIST, which may come in contact with either the PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK or the ARTWORK in the course of business.

2. Bunny Clarke, hereinafter “PHOTOGRAPHER” grants Niki Hilsabeck, herinafter “ARTIST” the right to use “Reflected Dreams”__, hereinafter “PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK”, as a reference for ONE ARTWORK.

3. PHOTOGRAPHER retains full copyright over the original PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ARTWORK.

4. ARTIST retains full copyright of their own ARTWORK, which is a translation of the original PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK.

5. PHOTOGRAPHER should be given a credit as follows for the reference for the ARTWORK:
a. when the ARTWORK is presented in an electronic medium, ARTIST should provide in a description, when possible, a working link to PHOTOGRAPHER or PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK.
b. when the ARTWORK is presented in a live setting, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the PHOTOGRAPHER and PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK.
c. when the ARTWORK is presented in a publication, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the PHOTOGRAPHER and PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK.
d. when the original ARTWORK is sold, where the ARTIST has control, the name of the PHOTOGRAPHER and title of the PHOTOGRAPHIC WORK shall be included in the invoice, description area as a reference.

6. PHOTOGRAPHER and ARTIST, each hold harmless current or future THIRD PARTIES from enforcing any specific obligations between PHOTOGRAPHER and ARTIST.

7. No additional terms in this agreement shall negate, or make ineffective the agreement in these paragraphs, 1 – 7.

8. PHOTOGRAPHER AND ARTIST have additionally agreed to the below statements.
(add additional agreements below)

AGREED by PHOTOGRAPHER: Bunny Clarke________________________
Date: 07-01-2011

AGREED by ARTIST: Niki Hilsabeck_____________________________
Date:7/1/2011

Dianne  Ilka Dianne Ilka 986 posts

This has been such an amazing process! I am learning heaps from watching the WIP shots. I am hoping to get more of mine done a little later. School holidays and husband on holidays leaves little time for art!

Randi Antonsen Randi Antonsen 192 posts

hi:)
What a great experience to come back here and see how all the works have taken shape!
This is really a cool event! (to repeat myself:))
Congratulations to both photographers and artists who have completed their mission and to those still working on it!
I’m back in a week to see how things have evolved. Looking forward to it!
Now : 2000 km up north on vacation.
hugs
R

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3260 posts

Last two and then its done from AsEyeSee’s macro urban photo Shining Down The illusion I am translating reminds me of the waterfall in Yosemite Park, California, USA with the rays of light at sunset reflecting in the water giving the appearance of the water being fire.

and the finished work which I have named FIreWater

Congratulations Jamie and Kathie on your gaining your respective spots in SoJie 12.

The lineup is now:
001. Eliza1Anna
002. Randi Antonsen
003. Isa Rodriguez
004. Janis Zroback
005. Dave Dooden
006. Jim Phillips
007. Jenn77
008. Sally Sargent
009. Ali Brown
010. Elizabeth Bravo
011. AsEyeSee
012. Kathie Nichols

Kathie, remember to submit your final work to Solo Exhibition. I’ll accept it in this weekend. Has to be in Solo to be in a SoJie.

Fantastic, I’m so glad you did this, Kathie!

@Dianne I’ve been wondering… You looked so close. We all love those boots!

@Nicki and Bunny, congratulations!

@Randi, you’re on vacation? How nice! What a sweetheart for checking in!

Announcing:

Reflected Dreams
by Bunny Clarke

will be translated by Niki Hilsabeck

Congratulations Bunny and Niki !

Dianne  Ilka Dianne Ilka 986 posts

@ Frannie – I have also had heaps of housework to catch up on over the last couple of days. Much to my husband’s “delight” art tends to take over when I am in the ‘zone’ and nothing else gets done.

Elisabeth Dubois Elisabeth Dubois 1057 posts

I am going to attempt my translation of Flying into the light by Spiritinme, without a larger pic. Let’s see how we go :)

A big pat on the back to all the artists translations thus far. Wonderful talent out there.

Cate Townsend Cate Townsend 228 posts

My first work in progress translation of Nathalie Chaput’s Photograph of “Catherine” Warm White Pastel on Canvas background painted with black acrylic. I usually do a pastel scketch first with all my work regardless of whether I’m using pastel, paint or mixed media.

Jay Taylor Jay Taylor 249 posts

Announcement coming soon, I think…!

Sue Nichol Sue Nichol 2837 posts

Hi, I am back painting today so should be posting an update later on. The work here is just so amazing….a bit daunting!

Nathalie Chaput Nathalie Chaput 123 posts

Awesome work Cate!

Samantha Aplin Samantha Aplin 534 posts

Line drawing of the Gaze
by Samantha Aplin

Yes I started. Haven’t decided what to do with background yet. Every time I look at it I see something different.

AsEyeSee AsEyeSee 231 posts

@Kathie, it’s absolutely gorgeous! The colors, the textures, and your “vision” of FireWater. I hope you enjoyed this process as much as I did. It was so thrilling to watch you work. I’m overjoyed by the whole experience.

I’m leaving tomorrow for a week, so I’m really happy to have been able to see the finished work. And I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone else’s work when I get back. As I’ve said time and time again, everyone involved with this event is so unbelieveably talented!!

I’m just waiting for Jason Weigner (time difference at play!) to confirm that the standard Sojie 12 agreement laid out by Frannie doesn’t need any additions or provisions, and then I will be able to show you what I’m already up to with his beautiful Bolivian Monkey Tree Frog :o)

P.S. All of the work so far is brilliant! Well done, all of you :o)

@Elisabeth, okay! You can do it.

@Cate, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Samantha, what a great start!

I see Edy has finished hers and I expect will post in a few minutes.
I’m off to breakfast but will be back soon.!

Samantha Aplin Samantha Aplin 534 posts

Base colour ‘The Gaze’
by Samantha Aplin

Base colour complete