Shop

Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

SoJie 10 - Solo's 10th Juried Invitational Exhibition of Visual Arts

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 35676 posts

SoJie 10 – Earth Day

The Earth Healing Project by DevineDayDreams

Dear Esteemed Nominees and Solo Exhibition Members,

It is fitting that for the celebration of Earth Day, that the show have a banner headline. Fine Digital Artist, Desirée Glanville, has kindly granted the use of her art for The Earth Healing Project to headline the show. The Earth Healing Project focuses your energies, along with thousands of others’, world-wide, on the healing of our planet. Desirée has provided links to freely download the art. Many are using it as a desktop image or screensaver, in order to focus thoughts throughout the day. Solo Exhibition is truly honored to use this beautiful image to set the tone for SoJie 10, and indeed for all of Solo. It is also the group avatar throughout the month of April. SoJie 10’s Earth Day theme was inspired by it.

“Earth Day” is the first themed show for Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibitions ("SoJie"s). We are delighted that you have joined us to celebrate Earth Day, 2011. More than ever, our earth needs us. We may be the most influential form of life on the planet, having a huge impact on nearly all other forms of life.

Another first for SoJie events, SoJie 10 held open submissions for three days. During those three days 191 works were submitted for consideration for the themed show. Just over 150 of those were accepted, with the primary goals of theme-adherence, inclusiveness, and quality.

Team Solo filled out the works for the show with select nominations from Solo’s Gallery.

If you received a special invitation banner,
like this, on your artwork…

Congratulations on your Nomination!

If you received a special round badge,
like this, on your artwork…

Congratulations on your Acceptance
through the Open Submissions process!

EXHIBITS – how-to post

1) Your image MUST be posted using linked code copied from the Easy Button – SoJie version.
  All you have to do is to put your description page web address at the top, DON’T CHANGE ANY SETTINGS,
  and scroll to the bottom and submit. COPY the code that appears in the box, and PASTE it back HERE into a comment.
  Same as posting a mail message or in a forum. Easy!

2) Before you save your comment, here, you MUST add details, as required for your category. Skip 2 lines and add them.

3) You MAY follow this by a description of the process or conceptualization, for the benefit of the judges. NO LINKS.

Important Links:
Deadline for entry – fixed time, world clock, see your city
Easy Button for SoJie posts only
Web Badges for nominees and accepted work, only
Promotional Banners for all friends of Solo to promote the show
Web ring journals

Important Dates
Open Applications: Wed-Fri, 2011-04-13 through 15
Nominations: Monday, 2011-04-18
Deadline: Wed, 2011-04-20 world clock for your city’s date and time
WebRing: Thur/Fri 2011-04-21/22
Judging: Thu-Sat, 2011-04-21 through 2011-04-23
Opens: Monday, 2011-04-25
Awards: Wednesday, 2011-04-27 world clock for your city’s date and time

See past shows for reference
Exhibits are on pages 1-3 or 4 of each.
1st Juried Invitational Art Exhibition – March 2010
SoJie 2 – April 2010
SoJie 3 – May 2010
SoJie 4 – June 2010
SoJie 5 – July 2010
SoJie 6 – August 2010
SoJie 7 – September 2010
SoJie 8 – October 2010
SoJie 9 – March 2011

Category – Required information
Hosts will label your work as “Photographic Art”, “Digital Art” or “Traditional Art”. Straight photography is
also labeled Photographic Art. You probably know the category which will be applied to your work.
Please add details below your image and title as per your category requirements, below.

TRADITIONAL ART      
Dimensions: (include unit of measure, e.g., in., cm, ft, mm)
Medium: (e.g., Acrylic on canvas board)

DIGITAL ART                  
Dimensions: (include resolution e.g., 5500 × 3300 px @ 280ppi)
Medium: (e.g., 3D, Compilation, Montage, say if stock was used or from artist’s own photos)
Software: (list it, e.g., Daz, Photoshop, etc.)
note: do NOT list stock credits. They should be listed and LINKED on your image’s
description page, as required for all digital submissions to Solo-Exhibition’s gallery.

PHOTOGRAPHIC ART
Camera, Lens:
Filters: (if applicable. leave this out if no filters were used)
Settings: (e.g., ISO, f-stop, speed, handheld, tripod, etc.)

ALL: Think of this as a gallery, and your text post as what goes on the tag on the wall,
next to your hung piece. (No thank you’s or extra links, as your title will be linked, already.)

AmandaGWright AmandaGWright 38 posts

Tree Of Love
by AmandaGWright

Traditional Art
Dimensions: 11 × 14 inches
Medium: acrylic and mixed-media on canvas

This painting was inspired by my belief in Gaia, the living planet.
All life on this planet is intrinsically interconnected, all parts crucial to the whole.

nominated by Elizabeth Bravo
Dr. Harmeet Singh Dr. Harmeet Singh 53 posts

Nature art
by Harmeet Singh

Photographic Art
Camera: Nikon D 80 camera and 18-70 Dx lens

Magi5760 Magi5760 801 posts

Listen……. Earth speaks….
by Colin Trebble

Digital Art
Dimensions:
Medium: Photo manipulation

Inspired by my own feelings that we live on a living creature that has nourished and supported us through the centuries, whom we should respect and honor. Created in photoshop with layers of photos and drawings.

rodeorose rodeorose 1642 posts

Powhiri
by rodeorose

Photographic Art
Camera: Nikon D90; Sigma 18-200mmlens;
Post-processing: PSE 6 minor edit

To me this shot is about respect, trust and tolerance across cultures, and beyond this, bringing our Spirit-Self in touch with our Daily-Self.

The traditional Maori welcome is called a powhiri, this involves a Hongi which is a greeting that involves pressing noses as opposed to a kiss.

Another prominent feature of Maori culture are the striking tattoos that were worn. Full faced tattoos or “Moko”, amongst the Maori tribes was predominantly a male activity. Female forms of moko were restricted to the chin area, the upper lip, and the nostrils. Today the Moko still lives on as an increasing number of Maori who are opting to receive their Moko, in an effort to preserve their culture and identity.

Sherri     Nicholas Sherri Nic... 2760 posts

EARTHDAY CONSCIOUSNESS
by Sherri…Charmaine Nicholas

Digital Art
Dimensions: 3000×3200
Software: GIMP software
Technical: some stock and over-painting

Earthday Consciousness is a combination of Earthday!!and our wonderful Planet which is in such a Turmoil, thru wars, fighting, killings not
just in wars but even in our citizens…it is heartbreaking to see people starving and our earth that is getting close to decay . I must say as We as indiviuals can do something about healing ourselves, bringing love and Goodness and health back to Earth.I could go on and on. We all know inour Hearts what the World Needs Now.., PEACE, LOVE LIGHT TO ALL NATIONS PEOPLE and all of God’s Creatures and Creations

Lets come together as one through Universal Mind and send our Prayers,Our Positive Energies.. It should hold true everyday!!
WE MUST SAVE OUR PLANET!!!!

Fiery-Fire Fiery-Fire 3793 posts

Ground beneath her feet
by Fiery-Fire

Digital Art
Dimensions: 3000 × 2126pixels @300dpi
Medium: Compilation, Montage & digital painting made in Photoshop7
Software: Photoshop7

Description: The image is designed in photoshop program using stock images listed in the artists comments.
Symbolic depiction of femininity & Gaia, connection of our humanity to nature. We are born of the water & earth of this planet, breathing
the air, and our whole survival depends on natural resources we can harvest.

All my life, I worshipped her
Her golden voice, her beauty’s beat
How she made us feel,
how she made me real
And the ground beneath her feet
And the ground beneath her feet

And now I can’t be sure of anything
Black is white and cold is heat
For what I worshipped stole my love away
It was the ground beneath her feet
It was the ground beneath her feet

Go lightly down your darkened way
Go lightly underground
I’ll be down there in another day
I won’t rest until you’re found
Let me love you, let me rescue you
Let me bring you where two roads meet
Oh come back above
Where there is only love

Only love…

My oh my My oh my

Let me love you true, let me rescue you
Let me bring you to where two roads meet
Let me love you true, let me rescue you.
Let me bring you to where two roads meet

by U2 – Ground benearh her feet

Desire Glanville Digital Fine Art Awards
for Excellence in Digital Art
SoJie 10, April 2011
rodeorose rodeorose 1642 posts

He’s My Brother
by rodeorose

Digital Art
Medium: mixed photography and digital, using own images
Camera: Nikon D90; Nikon 70-300mm lens;
Settings: handheld;
Post-processing: five original shots, composited wit PSE 9, and texture

It is not an Us and Them…no matter the differences..we are all an Us. We are all travelling together on this planet, and have an opportunity on EARTH DAY APRIL 22nd 2011 to join together in a “billion acts of green”…

Five original shots ( Orangutan from Melbourne Zoo, wild Blue Wren and wild grasses from my neighborhood, various cloudscapes for lighting) combined into a blended composite using PSE 9 and one free texture from Flickr’s Eddi07 (macro of a dandelion).

Desire Glanville Digital Fine Art Awards
for Excellence in Digital Art
SoJie 10, April 2011
virgosun virgosun 652 posts

Terra
by virgosun

Digital Art
Dimensions: 2024 × 3008px @ 300ppi
Medium: GIMP software/Windows. Three different textured Poser 5 renders, layered, masked and merged

Terra is, to the best of our knowledge, still the only planet in this part of the galaxy to host Life. She is the holder of the spark of life, home of the elements that sustain it. She is solid, tangible, real, but also charged with vital energies; our nurturing mother. I wanted to capture both solidity and energy with this image.

Sherri     Nicholas Sherri Nic... 2760 posts

SAVE OUR PLANET!!
by Sherri…Charmaine Nicholas

Digital Art
Dimensions: 3800 × 3600 pixels
Medium: Digital
Software: GIMP

Earthday is here, today and everyday we should concentrate on healing our planet!!
We, as one can do this!!
The time has come for a new Awakening of Love Kindness light for all Nations, people and all God’s creatures
Let send out our Energies and prayers as one on Earthday for healing of war, hate,fighting.
Renewal of Our beautiful Earth which is on the brink of decay.

Wendi Donaldson Wendi Donaldson 723 posts

Cuddles Anyone?
by Wendi Donaldson

Photographic Art
Camera: Canon 5D MarkII
Lens: Canon EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
Settings: f/8.0
1/250 sec.
ISO 125
Single RAW file converted in PS CS3.
Post-processing: Textures added from my own p/f

Pandas are an endangered species – as are so many of our exotic animals. Adelaide Zoo, in Australia, is known for its very successful breeding programme and so have been fortunate in successfully acquiring (for a ten year period) two beautiful and rare pandas in their quest to further the Earth’s panda population. Wang Wang, the male pictured here and Funi, the female are currently being housed in adjacent enclosures ~ beautifully designed for their comfort ~ and are gradually being introduced to each other by sight and scent at this point. It is a privilege and honour to see such amazing creatures. I hold out great hope that our Earth can indeed be revitalized in this small way, with the knowledge of the professionals here.

Fiery-Fire Fiery-Fire 3793 posts

Bamboo depths
by Fiery-Fire

Digital Art
Dimensions: 2000 × 4000pixels @200dpi
Medium: Digital Art – Fractal Art
Software: UltraFractal 5.01

Description: Abstraction of bamboo forest designed in ultrafractal software. Lush, green & ever growing !!
Bamboo is a group of perennial evergreens in the true grass family. Giant bamboos are the largest members of the grass family with many types.
Bamboo are found in diverse climates, from cold mountains to hot tropical regions such as East Asia, Northern Australia, thru India to Himalayas. They also occur in sub-Saharan Africa, and in the Americas from the Mid-Atlantic United States, south to Argentina and Chile.
Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants on Earth; it has been measured surging skyward as fast as 100 cm (39 in) in a 24-hour period. Primarily growing in regions of warmer climates during the Cretaceous period, vast fields existed in what is now Asia.
Bamboo culms are ready for harvest and suitable for use in construction within about 3 – 7 years.
Soft bamboo shoots, stems, and leaves are the major food source of the Giant Panda of China, the Red Panda of Nepal and the Bamboo lemurs of Madagascar. Rats will eat the fruits as described above. Mountain Gorillas of Africa also feed on bamboo and have been documented consuming bamboo sap which was fermented and alcoholic; chimps and elephants of the region also eat the stalks.

Lynnette Shelley Lynnette Shelley 644 posts

Gaia
by Lynnette Shelley

Traditional Art
Size: 19 × 12.5 inches
Media: Mixed Media on Paper

Gaia (or Gaea) is the elemental earth goddess in Greek mythology. She is the primal embodiment of earth and her name literally means Earth or Land in ancient Greek. She is considered a Mother Goddess or Great Goddess in the Greek pantheon. She is often depicted as a mature buxom woman.

Mieke Boynton Mieke Boynton 2455 posts

Cascades (Karijini WA)
by Mieke Boynton

Photographic Art
Location: The “Spider Walk” near Kermit’s Pool, Hancock Gorge, Karijini National Park, Western Australia
Equipment: Nikon D60, Sigma 10-20mm. Circular Polarising filter used.
Settings: ISO 100, f/8, 20mm, exposure compensation -0.7

Hancock Gorge is the most wonderous place I have ever been. It has a deeply spiritual ‘presence’, and has been known and cared for by Indigenous Australians for thousands of years. I have been to “Kermit’s Pool” (where this photo was taken) three times, and each time I’ve been privileged to spend time alone there.

Sitting on a rock ledge by the turquoise water of “Kermit’s Pool”, Time feels suspended, and it is the kind of place where you just put your camera down and soak up the atmosphere for a while. The red and blue banded rocks are almost unbelievable in their formation, and the clarity of the water is astounding. To capture this photo, I had to find some narrow ledges to put both my feet and tripod legs, so it was a little ‘precarious’, but I wanted to show the contrast between the solid smoothness of the rocks and the silky smoothness of the water.
It is a place where you feel that you are a part of something much older, wiser and far greater than yourself.

nominated by Elizabeth Bravo
Lynnette Shelley Lynnette Shelley 644 posts

The Sun Wheel
by Lynnette Shelley

Traditional Art
Dimensions: 25 × 19 inches
Medium: Mixed Media on Canson Paper

This piece represents life / energy/ creativity. The sun wheel is an ancient symbol with Indo-European roots, and represents the sun. The sun represents life to many cultures and with the birds and the wasps both flying/solar animals (as well as representing the euphemism “the birds and the bees” for procreation), this artwork represents creation and life energy.

Dorina Costras Fine Art Awards
Excellence in Symbolism
SoJie 10, April 2011
Hugh Fathers Hugh Fathers 431 posts

Possible Futures
by Hugh Fathers

Digital Art
Dimensions:
Medium: 3D

The number of possible futures is infinite.
Each decision we make as individuals, offers to us any number of different futures.
Decisions we make as a species, even more so.
But try not to be too hard on the Human’s.

We are the only species, known to date, that have begun to unravel the truths behind reality.
We and we alone, are the only species, that has the ability to dimly view and consider the future, as we are quite probably the only species to truly remember the past.

However you consider the beginnings of our species, we have managed to get this far in the relatively short time span of 150,000 years. And we managed to get here without the assistance of others. We have got here by our own skills, understanding, memory and accumulated knowledge.
Many times we have moved close to the brink but every time we manage to find our way through and continue.
Now, larger problems loom . . .

But as a species we will get through them . . .

PRIYADARSHI GAUTAM PRIYADARSHI GA... 33 posts

SIDDHARTH AT ALETSCH
by PRIYADARSHI GAUTAM

Traditional Art
Dimensions: 18 X 24 inches
Medium: Oil on Canvas

linaji linaji 6489 posts

Magnificene in Oak
by linaji

Photographic Art
Camera: Nikon D80

Shot from the side of the HWY 280 in California with my Nikon D80. Don’t worry, I pulled over and took several shots using the roof of my car as the tripod.

I stopped because my ‘mother’ loved oak trees and for me like the earth I feel a great love for my mother now part of ‘all that is’ and in knowing
this planet provides the best for us and that we can learn how to give back. However, like my mother, it is never enough, nope not ever.

The Bob Culshaw Awards
Excellence In Photography
SoJie 10, April 2011

Photographic Art – 2nd Place
SoJie 10, April 2011
Jaclyn Hughes Jaclyn Hughes 5295 posts

Breath of Air
by Jaclyn Hughes

Digital Art
Dimensions: 5000 × 7000 pixels @ 300dpi
Medium: Digital Fractal Art
Software: Ultra Fractal 5

It is a dream of many, to have the chance to take in a breath of clean, non-polluted air. This is my depiction of that dream becoming a reality someday. This piece is 1 of a set of 4, the 4 Elements.

PRIYADARSHI GAUTAM PRIYADARSHI GA... 33 posts

NISHA ON A HIKE
by PRIYADARSHI GAUTAM

Traditional Art
Dimensions: 18 X 30 inches
Medium: Oil on Canvas

Erin Hammill Erin Hammill 5 posts

Nature Preserves All Of Life
by Erin Hammill

Traditional Art
Dimensions: 11 × 14 inches
Medium: Ink on watercolor paper; Stippling Technique

God gave the world this remarkable gift…the breathtaking beauty of nature. I knew when I started this drawing I wanted to express my feelings, through my art, of how I feel about this planet and how we have treated it…or at least how I feel we should be treating it. So many gifts are given to us every day, some we take for granted. We can no longer take nature for granted, it may not always be with us…the animals, plants, the landscape, all being changed at the hands of us…humans. We are destroying the awe-inspiring gift given to us, and we still continue to do it daily.

The tree symbolizes how the earth is being held together by nature…if we lose it we will lose ourselves…our gift…given to us to take care of, to enjoy, to admire, to call home.

Corri Gryting Gutzman Corri Gryting ... 8054 posts

Here I am!
by Corri Gryting Gutzman

Photographic Art
Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Lens: Canon 18mm – 200mm at 40mm
Settings: ISO 100, 1/320 sec, f/10

In honor of Earth day, April 22, 2011, I am dedicating my seagull shot taken over Lake Isabella, California.
The seagulls have spent most of this winter visiting our inland lake. I am not sure which coast they call their regular home, but they seem quite content here.

The Earth has not wings
to fly away
when we hurt her
with machines
with pollution
with trash
with waste
with careless neglect
or intentional harm

her gifts wither away
do we notice?
do we care?
do we change?
are we aware?
when she is gone
so are we

© Janis Zroback © Janis Zroback 6036 posts

Earth Songs….Secrets
by Janis Zroback

Traditional Art
Dimensions: Journal
Medium: Watercolour on Handmade Recycled Paper

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don’t go back to sleep.
You must ask for what you really want.
Don’t go back to sleep.
People are going back and forth across the door sill where the two worlds touch.
The door is round and open.
Don’t go back to sleep
…Rumi

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.
When actions come from another section, the feeling disappears.
Don’t let others lead you. They may be blind or, worse, vultures

In other words be awake to what is going on around you…don’t follow blindly…don’t go back to sleep

Earth Songs is an artist’s journal….each section is a prayer for the earth, for land, for sea and air, for food…. as the pages turn, the images will reflect the seasons, the thoughts and musings of the diarist and will contain many different images, painted or drawn in a semi abstract way…it will be a celebration of the world that surrounds and sustains us and a prayer for it’s continuance…it can best be summed up in the words of Chief Dan George..

The beauty of the trees, the softness of the air,
the fragrance of the grass speaks to me.
The summit of the mountain, the thunder of the sky,
The rhythm of the sea, speaks to me.
The faintness of the stars, the freshness of the morning,
the dewdrop on the flower, speaks to me.
The strength of the fire, the taste of salmon, the trail of the sun,
and the life that never goes away, they speak to me
And my heart soars

Excellence in Mood Color
SoJie 10, April 2011

Special Earth Day Award
SoJie 10, April 2011
Deirdre Reynolds Deirdre Reynolds 34 posts

Welcome to the Jungle
by Deirdre Reynolds

Digital Art
Dimensions: 7692 × 7692 pixels @ 300 dpi
Medium: Digital Art, Fractal Art
Software: Incendia 1.3

The jungles and rain forests are one of our most valuable natural resources, yet we are rapidly losing these beautiful treasures to over-development and deforestation. Over half of the world’s species of plants, animals and microorganisms live and grow in the these tropical environments; and 40% of our planets oxygen is produced by rain forests and jungles, 20% of which is produced by the Amazon rain forest alone.

Terence Russell Terence Russell 265 posts

Glacier National Park
by Terence Russell

Photographic Art
Camera: Canon EOS Rebel Xti
Lens: Sigma 28-300mm
Settings:
Post-processing: HDR Photography

Despite having been set aside to allow nature to take its course with as little human experience as possible, atmospheric changes are melting the namesake glaciers in Glacier National Park.

The Bob Culshaw Awards
Special Earth Day Award
SoJie 10, April 2011