Let’s try something seasonal (for those of us who live in the Northern Hemisphere anyhow) and very simple for a change. Show us your painting that best expresses the idea of “cold”.
How well do the colors, forms, and imagery (if any) express the concept or sensation of coldness?
First prize: have six images of your choice featured on our overview page for three months.
First and second runners-up: have three images of your choice featured on our overview page for three months.
Try to avoid being overly literal-minded. There are many kinds of coldness:
1. having relatively little warmth; of a rather low temperature: cold weather ; cold hands
2. without sufficient or proper warmth: this meal is cold
3. lacking in affection, enthusiasm, or warmth of feeling: a cold manner
4. not affected by emotion; objective: cold logic
6. sexually unresponsive or frigid
7. lacking in freshness: a cold scent ; cold news
8. chilling to the spirit; depressing
9. (of a color) having violet, blue, or green predominating; giving no sensation of warmth
10. metallurgy denoting or relating to a process in which work-hardening occurs as a result of the plastic deformation of a metal at too low a temperature for annealing to take place
11. (of a process) not involving heat, in contrast with traditional methods: cold typesetting ; cold technology
12. informal (of a seeker) far from the object of a search
13. denoting the contacting of potential customers, voters, etc, without previously approaching them in order to establish their interest: cold mailing
14. cold comfort little or no comfort
15. cold steel the use of bayonets, knives, etc, in combat
16. from cold without advance notice; without giving preparatory information
17. in cold blood showing no passion; deliberately; ruthlessly
18. informal leave someone cold to fail to excite someone: the performance left me cold
19. informal throw cold water on , pour cold water on to be unenthusiastic about or discourage
20. the absence of heat regarded as a positive force: the cold took away our breath
21. the sensation caused by loss or lack of heat
22. informal in the cold , out in the cold neglected; ignored
23. an acute viral infection of the upper respiratory passages characterized by discharge of watery mucus from the nose, sneezing, etc
24. slang catch a cold to make a loss; lose one’s investment
25. informal without preparation: he played his part cold
26. informal chiefly ( US ), ( Canadian ) thoroughly; absolutely: she turned him down cold
from the World English Dictionary