How do I install new fonts to use in Photoshop CS4?

Colleen Milburn Colleen Milburn 5831 posts

I googled trying to find a response – I came across this one…

*Photoshop just uses the fonts you have in your computer (Windows itself), so to install fonts in Photoshop, you have to install fonts in Windows.

Locate the TTF (truetype font) files you want to add, either by browsing free font sites, or whatever, and then right-click on the TTF file after it’s downloaded (unzip to find the TTF file, if it’s a ZIP file). A menu will pop up. Choose “Install.”

A little window will appear and then disappear. If you don’t get an error message, your font should now be ready to use in all your programs. Make sure you close and re-open Photoshop if it was open, so it can find the newly installed font.*

OK, that makes sense – but ‘Install’ (as above) doesn’t come up for me. What does come up are the normal things I do when adding, say, brushes.

Does anyone know if I’m doing something wrong (well, obviously I am!) – any help would be greatly appreciated :))

Ravenor Ravenor 277 posts

Hi Colleen,

I usually navigate to C / Windows / Fonts, and place any new fonts with all the rest in that folder “Fonts” and then they just show up in all
my programs…

Hope this helps… Ray

Oh, cool – I hadn’t thought of doing it like that. I did, however, figure out what I was doing wrong (I was pulling up a step short so hadn’t got to the ‘Install’ bit… duh!). Thanks heaps for that, Ray :))

frogpoo frogpoo 610 posts

"

Hi Colleen,

I usually navigate to C / Windows / Fonts, and place any new fonts with all the rest in that folder “Fonts” and then they just show up in all
my programs…

Hope this helps… Ray"

Definately the easiest way of doing it.
Be warned though,if you don’t have a powerful system,it is very easy to overload it installing too many fonts
The slowdown/overload will occur when a program that accesses that fonts folder can’t handle the excess.
Even Adobe software will take longer to load if too many fonts are installed on the system.

Hi Mike – yes, that’s definitely what I’ve found – the bloody ‘slow-down’…lol! My C: drive was already threatening to shut me down before I added some fonts – bugger. Thanks so much for this info, I really appreciate it. :)) Love your avatar…lol ;P

Hi Colleen,

Out of all those fonts that are installed with Windows, Office, etc… we probably only use a dozen or so of them ….
so you could always delete some of those you will never use, and get a system boost in the process.

Ray

Ray, you’re right!! I just checked and there’s 438 fonts taking up a lot of bloody space…lol! I’ll get onto that – thanks heaps!!

InPort InPort 2969 posts

Be verrrrry careful when deleting Fonts people!
Many fonts are being used by Microsoft or other programs.
GB
D!

Be verrrrry careful when deleting Fonts people!

Well thought of Dennis… you are right, many of the fonts are needed for windows to run

I would NOT DELETE any of them Colleen

Ray

Nice one Dennis……..

OMG! That was a close shave…lol! I haven’t deleted any yet because, as I said, there are 438 so I was going to leave it till tomorrow!! Bugger, now I have to find another way to free up some space (not cashed up at the moment to buy a portable hard drive and I’ve saved everything I want to disk and deleted what I don’t want). Oh well. Thanks heaps, Ray and Dennis :))