Please note: This description has not been changed but I am going to highlight the rule which clarifies what we are after in the challenge. We do not like to reject/remove works so please do read thoroughly before entering the challenge. Thank you.
[to try to quantify] No more than a few mm which is less than a quarter/fourth (of an) inch. That is to say a sprinkle/dusting/few flakes. Please read the original description below for further clarification. Thanks!
In the UK we seldom get proper snow. We get a dusting and it looks like no more than icing sugar at best. It looks like someone has thrown dust or sugar on the floor. So we want no completely covered streets. No more than a few mm which does not even translate into inches as it’s so not worth measuring. Let’s say a quarter (fourth) of an inch max and not argue metric/imperial conversions too much.
Certainly here, if you do NOT take the photo of that dusting as soon as you see it, you will be too late as it will disappear very very soon.
- a street/path etc where it “tried to snow” and you can see a light dusting only.
- a bench, or my view from my window, the top of a bus shelter, heh… or other surface which looks like it has been “dusted” with snow. SNOW NOT FROST we can tell the difference, I think.
No, thank you.
- evidence of things buried under snow
- thick snow
- fully covered anything because the snow is too thick
- frost. We can tell the difference.
- falling snow… I have a photo of falling snow but you cannot see the floor. No, we want to see the SETTLED dusting of snow. If you are brave enough to go out when it’s started to snow again to take photos for this challenge then that is of course Ok!
As close to straight out of the camera as possible please. No composites at all. No superimposed images. This is the photography challenge group NOT the photoshop challenge group. Thanks!
WORK THAT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A PHOTOGRAPH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, even if it originally started as a photograph!!
- nothing that requires a safe filter, nothing that you wouldn’t show to your grandma or to a 5-year-old (I shouldn’t have to say this for this subject, but we had some surprises…)
- no writing on the images, this is still a photography challenge group, keep images with writing on them out of this, thank you (unless, of course, the writing is part of the subject)
Note: Please don’t be disheartened if your image is removed from the challenge, you can always ask us why that happened, but the usual answer starts with the challenge description – please read it :-)
Judging / Voting Criteria
Please vote for your favourite(s) that fit the theme, as many as they are. Every vote counts!!
Rewards & Prizes
- Bragging rights
- Banners for top ten ten photos
- Features for the Top 10 and 2 host choices (or as many from the top 10 that are in the group, plus the remaining places as ‘hosts’ choices’).
- Top ten (that submitted their work to the group!) will be invited to participate in next month’s Avatar challenge
- Please remember this is the photography challenge group :-)
- Works not added to the group cannot be featured when they end in the top 10 (‘computer says NO’). Adding to the group once the challenge is over will be too late. Please add your work to the group as you add it to the challenge! :-)
Cover Image: Watch out, England it may just snow... although you may miss it. by ellismorleyphto