It’s a tee. It’s a dress. It’s the new Graphic T-shirt Dress.

Pink Panther Magazine--Feminist Art & Writing

A women's group, celebrating feminist art and writing

Strength - Features - 01-08-2012

Sybille Sterk Sybille Sterk 1485 posts

Today’s features are inspired by the first image – Abeyance by leapadaybride. Abeyance means a state of temporary disuse or suspension and I think suspension is a perfect way to describe the daily life of most women. We are many things to many people in our lives, our own wishes and needs are often disregarded and our inner selves are in a state of suspension. It takes great strength to live like this every day, to put aside who you are to fulfil other people’s needs. I’d like to celebrate this strength where it shines, especially here in our group and the amazing art we produce.

I love the almost hieroglyphic feel of this photograph. Like a message we need to decipher to understand something very profound, and maybe that sums it up. We are in constant suspension between what we want and the needs of those around us.

In Abeyance by © leapdaybride

How much more beauty and strength can we show than by creating something to inspire others?

the artist by © Catrin Welz-Stein

The almost adoring quality of the perspective in this image show the beauty that is inherent in strength.

of color by © Jessica Islam Lia

Being one with our environemtn and content with who we are.

laruecherie
I was warmed by the sun, rocked by the winds and sheltered by the trees -Geronimo
by © laruecherie

Making a stand and standing up for ourselves.

Touch Me And You’ll Be More Than Alarmed by © lilynoelle

Distilled to our essence.

She by © Thea (tatefox)

Seeing and looking and understanding is a great part of becoming, sometimes we need to understand who we were (as a gender) and look back to see where we are going and to redefine ourselves.

The girl with a Polaroid camera on a train track by © Lissie Rustage Photography

Strength doesn’t have to be butch, it is a flower that grows in many places.

Helena by © madworld

And we ARE destined to fly. No doubt about that.

Destined to Fly by © strawberries

Occasionally it is hard to find the border of who we are and who we seem to be and sometimes they are one and the same.

Sometimes The Mask IS Me! by © Tamarra BaVincio

Self confidence and being happy with who we are is a big step in the right direction.

*RED III * by © GittiArt

No one is all light. There is darkness in everyone; understanding and accepting our own darkness is essential in controlling it and using it when we need to.

Find me in the dark by © Samantha Aplin

I hope you enjoyed this week’s features. Please tell the artists if you did. :-) xoxo

Valerie Rosen Valerie Rosen 2061 posts

Amazing work, everyone, as always! :-) Val

leapdaybride leapdaybride 760 posts

Thank you so very much for the feature Sybille!! I am thrilled that you have chosen my work to write about. I am always amazed by your creativity, so it is an honor to be complimented by you. ♥

Thea T Thea T 315 posts

Thankyou for including one of mine amongst this wonderful selection of artwork!!! Congrats to all :)

Jenifer DeBellis Jenifer DeBellis 1286 posts

Very nice thread of inspiration and collection. Congratulations to all the artists whose work is featured here. xox

BaVincio BaVincio 253 posts

Thank you so very much!! Very much an honor! Congratulations to the amazing artists here!

GittiArt GittiArt 301 posts

Wow what an honour to see my drawing amongst such beautiful works …..many thanks for the feature Sybille…it’s very appreciated and makes me happy!!!:-)
Also congrats to all those fantastic artists here:-)…..Brigitte

Beautifuldreamer Beautifuldreamer 81 posts

Great work! Congrats to all.

Anna Shaw Anna Shaw 7387 posts

What am amazing, unusual and dynamic collection this is. Congratulations to you all. Thank you Sybille for a great selection.

xx