Shop

Pink Panther Magazine - Feminist Art & Writing

A feminist group, celebrating feminist art and writing

A Hint of Mystery And Magic - Mushda - Featured Artist July 2011

Sybille Sterk Sybille Sterk 1512 posts

Our latest featured artist is Mushda

Mushda has been a recent addition to our group, but we all love her art and the of mystery and magic it exudes. Her images are often only hinting at form, which works so well in drawing the eye and making you wonder and think. Her art is often a self exploration that allows the viewer to follow in her footsteps and come along for the discoveries that lie at the end. You can see a sample collection (just a few of the many, many fabulous images in her gallery) at the end of this post.

So, without further ado, here’s the interview with the artist herself.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.

I’m Mushda, a 20 year old Architecture student living in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

2. What brought you to art? Did you always do art since you were little or are you a late starter?

From childhood, there have been numerous things I wanted to be. I was always into extra-curricular activities, and at one point I realized I needed one such activity that would I could hang onto safely. I started experimenting with music, writing and at one point, photography. The first two gradually faded away, but the latter stayed, and I’m glad it did. Photography, on its own, is also what made me get into Architecture, because I figured if there is one field I could merge my passion into, these two were definitely going to work the best.

3. What does your art mean to you and what does it mean to you as a woman?

As a person, my art is something that lets me document and express any kind of emotion I feel. As a woman, it pretty much does the same thing. Moreover, I am a Muslim, and come from a society where women are still fighting hard to establish an equal stronghold with men in all levels – be it in the field of professional spaces, or inside the private stores of the kitchen. I, as a woman, wanted to mold out of the typical mindset that people have towards women and their kind of photography. When I first started uploading on the internet, there were a very few number of females, from my country, who I knew were devoted to photography. I don’t know why, but I felt like they were doing some amazing, but very clichéd, and very predictable works of art. I wanted to go against the typical flow and start experimenting with things I felt would let me present photography by a woman in a different light for the people in my vicinity and also allow me to document and express emotions I felt, but couldn’t portray through words or actions where necessary.

4. Is there a theme running through your art? Do you have a ‘message’ you want to get across?

When I come to think of it, there really isn’t any solid theme running through my work. I come up with photographs, or manipulations that portray either daily life activities or a certain feeling I have to cope with. Photography lets me share that moment of joy or sadness or complete moments of brain freeze with myself – it lets me remember what I was going through, or how much I have grown as a person.

5. Which artist(s) influenced your work? Do you have a ‘hero(ine)’?

Now this is a really hard question. I’m inspired every single day. I’m inspired by people, places, nature, lights, and most of all, music. The biggest thing that influences my work is music. Anything that suits the mood, or is fun to sing to, has in one way or the other influenced my work for sure. And if it comes to artists, who I’ve been really influenced by, these following people would be the ones

Anastasia Volkova – she creates magic with her hands. There’s not a tiny detail that I think misses her eyes, and its absolute joy to see what she comes up with. She influences me to keep it simple.

Oprisco – This one here makes me gawk and stare at his work. His work, has something very emotional about it, it’s as if they speak to you in a very confusing and yet pretty straightforward way. He influences me to think deep, or be able to make people think deep.

Jonas Peterson – I am huge fan of wedding photography, and there are tons of wedding photographers out there who I follow like crazy, but none so like him. He manages to merge simplicity and complete craziness into his work, which I find to be very appealing. He influences me to not miss a single moment.

Last, and most probably the most influential of them all would be Rodney Smith. I do not even want to use words to describe what his work does to me because I would never be able to do him justice.

6. Where do you want to go with your art? Do you have a dream?

Dreams are something which I guess, are too many to count or consider. But yes, I hope, that in the future, I may be able to go complete pro with my work. I hope to bring to the people of Dhaka, a kind of photography that they probably haven’t seen before, but are sure to enjoy. Personally, I hope to grow old with Photography by my side, and never stop being enamored by the joy it brings to me.

7. What is your favorite piece of art that you did?

Untitled
by © Mushda

I don’t really know why, but I feel like this piece of work expresses me perfectly. The different kind of mindsets I face, the different kinds of emotions I feel, the whole fluidity in life and a whole series of emotions drives through me when I see this. Moreover, this one also helps me to want to experiment and push my limits further and come up with new pieces of work that look and feel equally challenging as this.

Funnily enough, this was an image featured here in the group and it was the one that brought Mushda’s art to our attention.

===

My favourites (in no particular order) – feel free to add your own:

I love the mystery in this image – it makes me wonder why she sits on the bed. It has the feel of an old photograph and a ‘history’ and weight to it. Marvellous.

-
Tunglið
by © Mushda
-

I love this image for the stories that unfold within it. The title and the image together make a fabulous combination and I could spend ages inventing different stories to fit the image and title. LOL

Betrayed
by © Mushda

The movement and expression in this image are fabulous, the grey colour palette allowing you to focus and get drawn in even more than had it been in colour. Together with the title it makes for strong emotion.

and all my screams fell into a song.
by © Mushda

Here the opposite works the colours drawing you in and making you feel like you float. There’s a feeling of freedom and independence about this.

fields of gold.
by © Mushda

I love the romance and dream like feel in this one. It captures this one perfect moment.

wherever you are, I’ll be with you.
by © Mushda

Here we’re back to the magic and mystery I talked about at the beginning. More stories unfolding…

Medusa’s playmate.
by © Mushda

Hints of colour in the foreground showing a stolen moment of a declaration of confidence and indepence.

I am done pretending.
by © Mushda

Another ‘stolen moment’ capture. I can’t help but wonder why the woman is smiling.

passerby(s).
by © Mushda

Apart from photography we also find photo manipulation in Mushda’s portfolio. This one caught my eye because of the title and the fractured quality of the reflection. The more we question the more questions there seem to be.

Framed – Questionings
by © Mushda

Despite the romantic and hopeful colour scheme in this image, there seems to be a forlorn aura about the woman. Each step seems difficult and more difficult than the last.

May Angels Lead you In.
by © Mushda

A strong image despite the bleak message.

Get Up
by © Mushda

And here’s my final image. I love the honesty in this. There is strength there as well as a little self doubt.

August Rush
by © Mushda

===

Please congratulate Mushda and vist her gallery

judyjones judyjones 55 posts

Beautiful images which capture those subtle , often missed , fleeting expressions of the feminine psyche which we call mystique .

judyjones judyjones 55 posts

Beautiful images which capture those subtle , often missed , fleeting expressions of the feminine psyche which we call mystique .

kasia  ikasia kasia ikasia 145 posts

fantastic works…BRAVA MUSHDA…CONGRATULATION ~

Anna Shaw Anna Shaw 7377 posts

Dear Mushda,

First of all, congratulations on this feature.

I was not familiar with your work before, so it has been a joy to browse through your gallery and find such gems. Your work really does hint at mystery, and searches out the inner selves of you and the women you photograph. I admire what you are doing within a culture that traditionally has not valued women’s art or photography. I love the fact that you are wanting to create something that has not been done before. Your work brims with originality and beauty, as well as mystery.

The images above are truly wonderful. I have chosen these to add to the collection.

Assassin
by Mushda

Dreams
by Mushda

I was a little girl alone in my little world who dreamed of a little home for me.
I played pretend between the trees, and fed my houseguests bark and leaves, and laughed in my pretty bed of green.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest swing.
I had a dream.

Long walks in the dark through woods grown behind the park, I asked God who I’m supposed to be.
The stars smiled down on me, God answered in silent reverie. I said a prayer and fell asleep.

I had a dream
That I could fly from the highest tree.
I had a dream.

Now I’m old and feeling grey. I don’t know what’s left to say about this life I’m willing to leave.
I lived it full and I lived it well, there’s many tales I’ve lived to tell. I’m ready now, I’m ready now, I’m ready now to fly from the highest wing.

I had a dream.

Mushda

The Cage Within
by Mushda

Sometimes the cage holds you captive, and sometimes its the other way around.
Mushda

Mushda Mushda 2 posts

Thank you so much. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to stop being amazed at how amazing you people have been to me in such a short time.
=]

Mushda – you deserve every accolade you receive. I have been away for a couple of days but will be back to comment more in the next couple of days.

Just enjoy the moment.
xx

Jenifer DeBellis Jenifer DeBellis 1232 posts

The juxtaposition of elements and concepts in Framed — Questionings jumped right off the page and pulled me by the hand right into that image.

This, as well as many of your images and pieces of writing, Mushda, resonates a deeper understanding of some internal ticking and thus provokes meditations that tic, tic, tic within the mind of the viewer/reader long after the encounter. It’s this type of magical connection that exposes a gift that extends past what can be learned — it’s part of the very fibers of being to be able to translate imagery and provoke feeling on such a level.

Congratulations on such a wonderful collection and representation of your works. And thanks for inviting us into your imaginative, magical world and leading us to that place of deeper feeling that many of us lose touch with too easily. xox

I love this one Mushda. I would love to know the whole story behind it.

i need a voice now.
by Mushda

Karo / Caroline Evans (Caux-Evans) Karo / Carolin... 195 posts

Congratulations to you , great works, very inspiring!