Cuyahoga Falls Ave

coffeenoir coffeenoir 11 posts

coffeenoir coffeenoir 11 posts

Ersu Yuceturk Ersu Yuceturk 189 posts

Did u mean this?

Mary Campbell Mary Campbell 959 posts

I don’t know what to say about this one, I do not like the blue lights. It’s the road and path leading you to nothing..

Ersu Yuceturk Ersu Yuceturk 189 posts

I like the groove in the snow (dead body wasn’t it :) that leads all the way into the distance. Maybe it should be more central so leads the viewers straight to the background and blue lights. Maybe crop out the buildings on the left to centralise the groove?

Mark German Mark German 5225 posts

Coffeenoir – would you mind telling us a bit about your photo – what it means to you, how you see it, your likes and dislikes, etc?

BYRON BYRON 11451 posts

I didn’t look at this twice when I first saw it, and wasn’t going to critique it. But I have had a look at your portfolio and since reconsidered.

TECHNICAL QUALITY (out of 10 points)
Settings: no details supplied.

Exposure: The exposure is bad. There is a loss of detail in most areas. This may be a result of having the bright light at the top of the frame and shooting at night. Your poor camera couldn’t decide what to do.

The resultant artifacts (colour aberations) are very distracting and make everything look murky and unattractive.

Also, snow being white, will expose as grey, which is why it looks dirty here. To effectively photograph snow as being white you need to over-expose 1-2 stops. Photographing snow is tricky at the best of times.

Lighting: The lighting is flat and quite ordinary. It does not work to maintain any interest.

Colour Saturations: Colour Saturations are very poor.

Focus / Depth of Field: It is very hard to see anything in focus due to the low resolution and the digital artifacts in this image. Also you are pointing the camera at “infinity” so the camera is not focussed on anything specific.

Sharpness: Poor.

Score: 3

Look at this photograph by BENSOUND a fellow Brisbane Photographer. Ben has removed all un-necessary elements by framing tightly and kept the composition simple: An arrow, a shadow, a building, and by using a long exposure – tail light from a car. Colour saturations (due to the long exposure) are superb and really add to the interest in the image.

INTEREST (out of 10 points)
Aesthetics / General appearance: The low resolution, digital artifacts, lack of colour saturations and poor subject matter do not work together to make an interesting or visually appealing photograph.

Emotional Content: I feel nothing when looking at this photo.

Storytelling ability / Creative communication of a concept or idea: Since you have not isolated any particular elements as your “subject” you have not communicated your intent to the viewer. Its a picture of a snow covered street. So why did you take this photo? something appealed to you about it, but you have not shown us what.

Originality: Execution of your image is not original.

Look at this photograph by ELLIE WINDS. See how the use of lines especially the gutters on the side of the road draws your eye all the way down the road and around the bend? It creates interest. Notice too how ELLIE has allowed dark areas to remain dark by only exposing for highlights. The clouds are also dramatic and add a lot of mood to this image. The POI are: the road, the street light, the dimly lit buildings and the clouds.

COMPOSITION (out of 10 points)
Framing / Cropping: What is it you want us to look at here? You are pointing pretty-much straight at that tree. But I don’t think that was what interested you about this scene.

The balance/proportion between the ground and the sky is awkward. The horizon should be lowered to 1/3rd from the bottom of the frame to create a better balance, (or 1/3rd from the top).

You have included a building on the RHS, but why? There is no detail and it is just a big dark area that adds no interest to the image.

Simplicity of Design: Way too complicated. see below.

Points of Interest: There are far too many elements in your image. Too many bright lights which distract the veiwer’s eyes and detract from whatever the main subject should be.

The light at the far top of the image should be cropped out. It is too bright and distracting, and I feel may also be responsible for some of the technical problems with this photograph.

Rule of Thirds: Placing your Points of Interest (POI) on the lines that divide a scene into 3rds helps to maintain interest for your viewer. But I don’t know what your POI are. Certainly there is the drag line thru the snow, but it doesn’t lead anywhere and you haven’t exactly featured it.

Lines & Diagonals: You could have used the drag line to create a diagonal line or even a straight line that drew the viewers eye to your main subject which could have been a person or animal or anything. It is an opportunity missed.

Balance / Use of Negative Space: Since there is no clearly defined subject, there is nothing to balance. Proportions between dark and light areas seem awkward.

Look at this photograph by LOUISE LeGRESLEY. It is quite a gritty urban photograph that speaks volumes about its location. See how LOUISE has used repetition and lines with the street lights to draw your eyes through the image towards the pedestrians. Also the curve of the road and the reflection on the pathway lead you through the image also. LOUISE has exposed for highlights and allowed the gentle play of light and shadow to create a stunning image. While it has many compositional elements, they all “fit” the image and all work to tell a story and communicate a feeling.

This is not a good photograph. You probably don’t want to hear that, but sometimes we need to be told. I have heard it more times than you can imagine.

When you see something that interests you, stop for a moment, think about what it is that you like about it, then think about how to best communicate your feelings to your viewers. Photography is communication.

Ansel Adams once said that a photograph says more about the photographer than it does about the subject.

You need to look carefully at the scene and decide what elements need to be in the image to communicate how you feel. If they don’t need to be there then frame the image to take them out. Simplicity in composition is always the best way to go.

I dont know what equipment you are using, but it is a very low resolution image. If you can change the settings, set your camera to highest resolution possible.

If you can make adjustments to aperture, shutter etc, then set your camera to manual when doing night time photos. Set your ISO to about 200-400 and your aperture to f4.5 and your shutter to about 125-250. Its about exposing highlights. Its night time so you wont get any details in dark areas, and that is kinda the point.

With your camera on auto, unless it has a setting for nightime, it is going to try to expose everything, it will bump up the ISO as far as it can (which will create “noise” or digital artifacts), it will open up the aperture and slow down the shutter speed which will result in a blurry image.

Unless you are doing long night time exposures like BENSOUND (for which you will need a tripod) it is often a good idea to convert you image to B&W because colour saturations will be low. Converting to B&W will enhance the feeling of night time by empasising light and dark.

Night time photography is very difficult. It is about composition and shapes and lines, probably more so than during the day. You have to really know what you want to communicate with this style.

I have looked at your other work, and one thing strikes me: you don’t seem to have a clear idea of what you want us to look at. Always think about what you like in a scene and then think about how to best tell us that story of how you feel.

Learning to see as a photographer is one of the hardest things. It can take years of practice. You wouldn’t believe some of the baaad photos I was taking when I started! But don’t get disheartend – it is all part of the journey we take as artists. Ultimately it is not about the goal, but the journey itself, it is about the learning and not about achieving of artistic knowledge.

Looking forward to seeing more from you soon.

Total Score : 9 / 30