20% off art prints, photo prints, and canvas prints. Use PRINTS20

Abstract Impressionism in Nature (Macro Photos of shapes & textures)

Colours and textures in nature that leave an impression of something other than what it is!

Interview with Paul McGuire

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3633 posts

The winner of our latest challenge “Macro Sand Patterns in Nature”, won by Paul McGuire with his entry Sand and Waves

What country are you from?

England, UK

How would you describe yourself?

A passionate amatuer. I look for opportunity in everything!

When did you first find out that you were interested in photography?

I remember it well! July last year. I bought the fujifilm s5700 for taking general snaps. Whilst reading the instructions I realised how much more there is to cameras! I played about with the settings to get different results. From then I wanted more! I upgraded to Canon 400D and love experimenting!

What is your favourite subject to photograph?

I love the weather! I look for moody skies, storms and atmospheric optics! Rainbows, sunbeams, lightning etc! I enjoy infra red photography though I still have a lot to learn! I really enjoy timelapse photography too! As said above though I look for a photo opportunity in anything and everything!

Would you like to share with us what inspires you and perhaps your dreams and goals?

I am hugely inspired by the community here on RB! I migrated here from the old facebook competition application (Now inspi.re). The support and friendship from fellow bubblers spurs me on to constantly improve my work. I also recieve a lot of support from my friends and colleagues here in Scarborough.
My main short term goal is to enrol to a photography diploma course (Hopefully this summer). I also have some of my photographs displayed in a local pub. I would love for these photographs to do well and hopefully roll out more in my home town!

Tell us which is your most favourite photo from your portfolio, and why?

It’s got to be Rainbow Chalet. I made several attempts at this shot and it always lacked something. A heavy shower blew by on my fifth attempt and left me a puddle which provided the shot with a reflection which finished it off for me! Persistance finally paid off!
I love the colour and the slightly abstract feel to it!

Ruby  Pen Ruby Pen 36 posts

Congratulations, Paul.
Thank you both Kathie and Paul.