Another sensory organ, this time the Skin, I’m going to fling this one wide open to interpretation. So in other words you can add anything that covers our living creatures, these could include:
So why do we have this covering and what makes it an organ (a fully differentiated structural and functional unit in an animal that is specialized for some particular function).
1) * Skin in mammals is the largest organ and is made up of multiple layers, protecting what’s on the inside from the pathogens on the outside. *
2) * Made up of thousands up on thousands of nerve endings the skin is able to detect heat and cold, vibration, pressure.
3) * The skin acts as a temperature regulator, conserving or releasing heat to control core temperature.*
4) * Skin absorbs small amounts of oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide can diffuse into the epidermis.
5) * In other animals like reptiles skin acts like a solar panel, converting sun rays to regulate the body temperature which they cannot do by consuming food.*
6) * Skin acts like a camouflage in some animals allowing them to hide from predators.
These are just a few of the important factors of skin, some of this information was collected from Wikipedia
You MUST however only add a close up image of what ever it is you are entering so if I can make out what the creature is, I’m afraid to say the image will be removed.
I am trusting you not to add images of domestic animal fur, NO CATS, NO DOGS etc and please I do not want any fur coats.
Play fair people.
Vote for your favourite.
1st place winners will have their photo used as the group Avatar for a period of time.
Then 1st, 2nd and 3rd will have their photo’s permanently posted on the groups Feature Board, but I will also pick another 9 entries of personal choice to be featured to cover our feature board. (Subject to the number of entries).
1st place member will be become a featured member.
ENTRIES MUST BE ADDED TO THE GROUP FIRST OR BE DELETED FROM THE CHALLENGE
NO HUMANS OR HUMAN MADE OBJECTS