Shop

ISODIAWD

Drawing and Illustration HQ

Comic Art Thread #6 - LEROY

Steven  Austin Steven Austin 685 posts

Hi guys

This thread should have been posted some time ago but due to my erratic life at the moment became waylayed.

As most of you will know a couple of weeks ago Mr Matt Dunn celebrated his 1st year here at the bubble and as a tribute to the ‘man who does not sleep’ and based upon a suggestion put forward to me by Mr Sturstein I decided to use this comic art thread to in honour of not only Mr Dunn himself but also a character that we have all become oh so familiar with.

The character – a hammer wilding, zombie smashing gas masked anti hero – was born from Matthew’s graphic novel Lonely Monsters. Since its publication he has gone on to appear on many t-shirts, a webcomic, custom toys, and more. In September 2010 he is the subject of an exhibition in Melbourne and continues to be probably ‘the’ most recognisable character on the bubble today.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your drawing pleasure and in recognition of Matthew Dunn’s outstanding contribution over the past 12 months….and 2 weeks, I give you. LEROY!!

Simon Sherry

ausven

Matthew Dunn

Nick Ford Nick Ford 358 posts

Really like Si and ausven’s takes on Leroy. Great stuff. May whip up my own … i’m into gas masks at the moment!

Haha yeah saw your record cover mate, loved it.

Michael Lee Michael Lee 481 posts

Here’s the pencils stage for me. I’m going to add a crowd of silhouetted zombies’ outstretched hands framing the whole thing, so it’ll be from the zombies’ perspective.

P.S no one remembered it was my RB first birthday too! Just kidding. No seriously; one year. Mark it on your calender. :)

stevesparke stevesparke 3 posts

Okay, this is my first attempt at posting in the forums, so hopefully it works.

stevesparke stevesparke 3 posts

Okay, it’s a little sad that I’m mostly proud of my figuring out how to actually post the image than the actual making of the image. ;-)

Octochimp Designs Octochimp Designs 562 posts

hehe, as I supected there has been no delay in the action getting started here. This will be a popular thread. :) Great start guys !!

matthewdunnart matthewdunnart 764 posts

This thread is such a surreal experience for me :-) Firstly thanks to Ausven and Sturstein for thinking of the idea and kicking it off, it’s an honour to see Leroy get a thread amongst so many other great character threads. I’m really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for this!

I might even use this thread to drop a few little bits of info on the character that most (and in some cases no) people would know of. It’s a total blast seeing Si, Ausven, Michael and Sparke’s contributions so far, each one capturing a different feel and approach (Ausven’s baby Leroy is such a wonderful balance of adorable and disturbing hehe). It’s probably a bit wierd for me to add my own piece to the mix from this point, but I thought I’d share the below image anyway as it’s something I’ve been wanting to do up for a long time. Life Size Leroy, acrylic and spraypainted stencil on a sheet of MDF just over 90cm x 90cm :-)

Thanks again folks!

Cathie Tranent Cathie Tranent 1282 posts

Hey – I didn’t know about this thread …….

This is a Little Leroy (about 6 I reckon) that I did while I was waiting for the comp to be judged …….

This is really about the only one of him I could whoop!!

Cathie Tranent Cathie Tranent 1282 posts

PS – I’m in an Art Jam thread?? Never thought that would happen!!

I hope no one begrudges me an animation of the process much like Matt once had done for one of his own artworks.

Man, the submissions have really flooded in on this one. I dare say we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Process animations are addictive man. I’ve got a bunch of them with more on the way. It’s a really fun way to present your work. I like the final step in that piece, really drags your eye towards Leroy.

Thanks, Matt. I think I’ll have to throw a little colour at this one after all. Maybe some heavier shadows too.

I threw a paint bucket at it and it made all the difference! BLOOD!

Wow greeat start people,
Mike, love it man, and the animation works a treat, in agreement with Matt the final stage really draws the viewer to Leroy.
Steve, welcome on board matey, good to see you involved, although Leroy as far as I know has never weilded a baseball bat, still this is all about your interpretation so why not.
Cathie – about bloody time!! Good to see you on board and love the ….about 6….Leroy.
Matt – great piece, I’d almost believe you’ve drawn Leroy before – oh….you have. ;)

Zombie Rust Zombie Rust 388 posts

That’s an ultra cool thread guys here and a great surprise to see one of our own getting honoured like this. Well deserved tribute Matt!!!

Ausven and Simon already knew how much I dig the hell out of their takes on Leroy and it’s really great to see stevesparke and Cathie joining in with such wonderful alternatives of the character!
Michael, man that is a standout! Love everything about this work, from the pencil sketch to the animation, to the red variant! Great one buddy, really great!!!

Anita Inverarity Anita Inverarity 4312 posts

Wooo Hoooo Leroy rocks- This is awesome !!!

Thanks, asuven. Thanks, Zombie. However ausven I think I do recall Leroy weilding a spiked baseball bat at least once. I think it was in the webcomic. Oh wait – I just checked and I was thinking of Matt’s Judge Death. Just hammers and guns for Leroy.

Ray Jackson Ray Jackson 708 posts

MATTHEW CHEERS MATE Mazel-tov I mean Molotov!

Cool stuff razar!

As far as weapons go, for the most part he sticks to his trusty ol’ hammer and the occasional firearm. I’ve done a tonne of Leroy commissions over the last few years though and in those he’s used other things such as crowbars, baseball bats, chairs, hockey sticks, severed arms, and other things. In one he was even wearing The Stinger, which Simpsons fans might remember as being the boxing glove with barbed wire wrapped around it that Mo once showed Homer when he became his manager/trainer ;-)

O K .now I know I’ll try another .
WOW Michael Lee that ’s a great animation ! .

The reflection in the mask’s lenses looks great, razar1.

Thanks Michael , here’s LEROY.

hehe classic razar, love the eyeball falling to the floor :-)