ISODIAWD

Drawing and Illustration HQ

Super Special Character Jam #1 - Savannah Cowboy

matthewdunnart matthewdunnart 764 posts

Today we kick of a very special art jam that springs from the recent Character Creation Challenge. From the mind of “Nathan Davis":http://www.redbubble.com/people/obvian please welcome Savannah Cowboy

This should be a blast!

usarogersbros usarogersbros 57 posts

i like his artwork…) ian

Coldtown Coldtown 96 posts

Awesome! Nath and I went to Uni together, along with a couple of other Bubblers who pop in here from time to time. This should bring out some interesting stuff!

Nathan Davis Nathan Davis 25 posts

I need to keep an eye out for who else from my dark and vaguely seedy past might turn up. Tell no one of the noodle incident, Coldtown.

I’ll happily admit to looking forward to this, it’s always fun to see what people do with something you’ve created. And with the amount of talent here I’ve no doubt I’ll be amazed.

Sturstein Sturstein 405 posts

Yep, these guys are going to be fun.

Octochimp Designs Octochimp Designs 562 posts

Dammit, sorry I missed this. It looks like some fun needs to be kicked off here ! Never fear, I’ll be back soon with something.

Anita Inverarity Anita Inverarity 4312 posts

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay- Brilliant to see the jam started- awesome piece Matt- looks very cool in your style :)))

That’s awesome Matt !

Nathan Davis Nathan Davis 25 posts

I drop off the face of the earth for a few weeks and this awesomeness pops up! That’s beautiful work, Matt. Cheers.

Well, it only took me 5 months, but I finally got it done.

Anita Inverarity Anita Inverarity 4312 posts

Thats BRILLIANT !!

Lily McDonnell Lily McDonnell 184 posts

HAHAHA I like it! Don’t feel bad about being late – I’ve been wanted to do something for this one too and I haven’t even started!!
I find the giraffe-man really creepy for some reason – it think it must be the shorts ;)

Lily – Or maybe it’s that angry eye. I hadn’t intended him to look quite so mean. And I just didn’t think long pants would look right.

Mostly I’m just sad that there’s been so little interest in this thread :( But I guess all the threads have been pretty quiet lately. Maybe people haven’t had time to draw anything.

Looking at the above images really puts the DwarfChimp entity into perspective: Matt and I have such vastly different styles. It seems impossible that they could be successfully combined, yet somehow when we work together they gel seamlessly. weird.

Everyone does seem pretty busy – RB seems quiet in general…

Totally agree about the long pants
He is an awesome frightening half giraffe mutant :D

Killers in long pants = Frightening
Killers in shorts = Creepy

I can’t explain it…

Coldtown Coldtown 96 posts

Bahaha! How different can a take on this BE?! Great! I can see a gap in my work horizon, so I might have to give this a go!

Bring it on, Coldtown! There’s plenty of room for you to take it in yet another completely different direction ;)

Joozu Joozu 63 posts

Another direction:

That’s fantastic man, love the skull/smoke :-)

that is awesome ! ..and I’m so glad another great artist did this challenge. It didn’t get as much attention as it deserved. Great characters, and this is another great take on them !!

Joozu Joozu 63 posts

This is a great subject and since Nathan’s original work is pretty much perfect, it’s very wise to choose a completely different path. C’mon guys, let’s see more interpretations!

Huzzah! About time someone else took a crack. Nicely done, Joozu! Makes me think A Clockwork Orange by way of Ralph Steadman.

I had a few spare minutes today and I remembered about this challenge and thought it would be fun to give it a shot…so here is my scribble of the Space Savannah Cowboy! :D

I’d really like to see these challenges active again so I’m off to see what else I’ve missed out on!

So awesome! I think the comic art jams ended up being swept under the rug for awhile due to a bunch of other projects going on (plus life in general, damn pesky life, always getting in the way). It’d be cool to see them fire up again. Damn it Lily, you’ve inspired me now so I think I’ll spend some time tomorrow banging out a piece for the Doom Patrol thread :-)

Thank you!! Yeah, life is pesky like that ;)
I was going to tackle Modok next I think, I will see about Doom Patrol after that. It would be great to see these jams going again!