Shop

ISODIAWD

Drawing and Illustration HQ

Cartoon Art Thread #4 - Thundercats

matthewdunnart matthewdunnart 764 posts

Another classic 80’s cartoon show for this fortnight, The Thundercats!

Here’s a little history (courtesy of Wikipedia)

ThunderCats is an American animated television series that was produced by Rankin/Bass Productions (the same that created the Silverhawks, Tigersharks and The Comic Strip) debuting in 1985, based on the characters created by Tobin “Ted” Wolf. The series follows the adventures of a group of cat-like humanoid aliens. The animation was provided by Pacific Animation Corporation, the working name for a collective of Japanese studios including Topcraft, a group who would later go on to form Studio Ghibli. Season 1 of the show aired in 1985 (65 episodes), followed by a TV movie entitled ThunderCats – HO! in 1986. Seasons 2, 3, and 4 followed a new format of twenty episodes each, starting with a five-part story; these aired from 1987 to 1988, 1988 to 1989, and 1989 to 1990, respectively.

The series was originally distributed by Telepictures Corporation (which would later merge with Lorimar Productions). Near the end of 1988, Lorimar-Telepictures was purchased by Warner Bros., whose television syndication arm would eventually assume distribution of the show; Warner Bros. have had the rights to the series (and all Lorimar-Telepictures programming) from that point on.

On March 17, 1997, ThunderCats was the series seen on (Warner Bros’ corporate sibling) Cartoon Network’s new action-animation afternoon block, Toonami. The series would depart and return in various timeslots including Saturday mornings and late night marathons until 2002.[citation needed]

There were also several comic book series produced: Marvel Comics’ version, 1985 to 1988; and five series by Wildstorm, an imprint of DC Comics (another Warner Bros. corporate sibling), beginning in 2003. Items of clothing featuring the ThunderCats logo and DVD boxsets of the original series have enjoyed a resurgence in recent years as nostalgia for the former children’s favorite has grown.

It was announced on June 5, 2007, that Aurelio Jaro is making a CGI-animated feature film of ThunderCats, based on a script written by Paul Sopocy. In October 2007, Variety magazine revealed that Jerry O’Flaherty, veteran video game art director, had signed on to direct. The film is being produced by Spring Creek Productions. It was originally set for a summer 2010 release,1 but it has since been reported that the movie is on hold.2 Concept art for the film has also been leaked online.3

In May 2009, the first new merchandise related to the ThunderCats property was announced by Hard Hero, a company specializing in highly detailed fantasy statues. The first statue will be released in early 2010.4

In June 2010, a Warner Bros press release revealed that a new animated series was in production for Cartoon Network. The series will be co-produced by Japan’s Studio 4°C.

Paul McClintock Paul McClintock 2738 posts

childhood flashbacks, hooooo!

Octochimp Designs Octochimp Designs 562 posts

hmm, don’t know these guys, but it seems that it is basically just He-man with dyed red hair and some face painting done at the local fairground ?

Octo – Sturstein’s going to kick your ass for that comment ;-)

hehehe, sorry Sturstein. I was just kidding. I’m sure they’re very nice. ;) I’m actually looking forward to having a go at this one.

Becpuss Becpuss 12 posts

Ahhh Thundercats…big fan but now I feel old :S

Zombie Rust Zombie Rust 388 posts

I was obsessed with Tygra at the tender age of 7! And the Mumm-Ra character is a miracle!

Sturstein Sturstein 405 posts

I’ll kick Octo’s ass when he gets to Sydney in August.

First I need to go to Melbourne and kick Matt’s ass for not telling me he was doing this thread. I’ve been completely immersed in painting for the last fortnight, and it’s taken me ten days to find this. PLUS, he posted the cats before I had a chance. PLUS he didn’t stretch things out by posting them individually!

Thundercats are awesome, and I demand their respect.

all hail the thundercats !
and thanks for commenting on this, as I’d completely forgotten about it, and I do want to have a go at it.
Ok, definitely this weekend… for sure.

vampvamp vampvamp 1298 posts

gee this one has been popular….

I think all the threads have been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks. Lots of people bein’ all busy and stuff :-)

gee i dunno, i’d do this one if it were more….something. LOL ;)

Vamp – Thundercats are everything they need to be. You will join in the fun.

lmao ;P

don’t you cast your evil jedi moves on me man! :P

Now, now, we’ll have none of that jedi nonsense here, thank you very much. Here it’s all about The Eye of Thundera! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

hmm. so where’s your version sturs? ;P

ok, quick.. someone distract Sturstein while I post my entry. Oh, Sturstein umm, sorry buddy, I didn’t see you there. Hey, seriously all I’m saying is that the thundercats are so damn cool that even He-man wants to be one. :)

hehe that’s great, I love that he has a pink mirror :-)

farkin’ awesome octo! ;)

Zombie Rust Zombie Rust 388 posts

Two of my beloved childhood memories ruined at once! You are so profane Octo man!

roflmao

hehe, thanks. :) sorry ZR, this was one of those things that just had to be done. Hehe.

ok so here’s snarf, not super happy, the aquaril wash was shit. he is a smug looking dick isn’t he. LOL

smug? no, he looks more guilty. Like he’s just snarffed something and is hiding it in his mouth.
Yeh, I don’t know what the trick to using water-colour pencils is, but it certainly adds some interesting texture at least. :) you did a good job with the line work by the way. :)