Contemporary Pastel Painters (2 per day)

A group for artists working in the pastel medium, soft pastel, oil pastel, hard pastel, conte, pastel pencils and mixed media with pastel. No post-work in photoshop, please!

Hanna Aschenbach

maria paterson maria paterson 1385 posts

Pastel artist Interview with HannahAschenbach

Q.1 Congratulations on your winning work Gänse von Bechstedt. This is a beautifully simple rural scene that you have captured, are rural scenes a subject you are interested in?

A. Thank you so very much! It’s an honor! I live in a village and work in a city. Everyday when I come home I am welcomed by those geese. I love to draw scenes from simple everyday live.

Q2. There is a strong design element in your work, is this a result of your work in architecture?

A. Yes it is. I work at the Bauhaus-University Weimar and teach students free hand drawing, color and architecture among other things.

Q3. Your art has a strong emphasis on line such as in Mutig, how do you approach using line in your work?

A. I love clear forms but also the moving line. I approach the lines in my art like loose writing; characterized by building up my pictures using lines like using a writing pen . You can say my paintings are written down, if you want.

Q4. Colour is used in a minimal way in your work, yet it describes so much, how do you think you achieve this.

A. I am honored by your question, since I admire minimalism. I do try to minimalize the color information in order to bring the expressions of my images to the surface as clear as possible.

Q5. Are pastels your main medium, and why do you use them?

A. Pastels turned out to be my main medium. Throughout my life I have always been more comfortable with the line of the pencil than with the stroke of the brush.

Q6. How long have you been created your art for?

A.I have been drawing since I was a little girl, but I’ve used pastels since around 1990.

Q7. What do you hope to achieve with your work in the future?

A. I hope that it will continue to be as much fun for me as it has been so far.

Virginia McGowan Virginia McGowan 735 posts

gorgeous art, absolutely wonderful ,congrats on the interview Loved it so much

JulieWickham JulieWickham 24 posts

Well done Hannah congratulations on the feature

HannaAschenbach HannaAschenbach 49 posts

I’m very flattered!!
Thank you to everybody who voted for me…i’m really honored!
Hanna

Susan Duffey Susan Duffey 111 posts

A very interesting interview, Hannah. It sheds light on your strong, diverse work.