Art at Heart

This group requires a hosting team. If you are interested in hosting this group, you can find out more here:http://support.redbubble.com/kb/advanced/applying-to-host-a-group

Challenge Winner - Margaret Sanderson

Susan van Zyl Susan van Zyl 642 posts

The “Primates”: challenge was won by Margaret Sanderson with 6 votes. As reward, Margaret has her image featured on our overview page, is also featured a a group member and has her own “solo exhibition” in our group forum gallery.

G A L L E R Y : S O L O .. E X H I B I T I O N

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I N T E R V I E W

1. How long have you been an artist on the redbubble?
I joined Red Bubble in September 2008 with little expectation, if I’m honest. However, I now
consider it one of the best moves I ever made, and have got to know some great people.

2. Tell us a little bit about yourself
This is always the dreaded question at a job interview, so it’s just as well I’m not having one of those! I’m a single parent with two children, 11 and 27. My 11-year-old son has autism, and can be quite challenging at times. Hence the reason for my escapism in art.
I have been a bank cashier, British Railways ticket clerk, and a barmaid. I just loved
counting money. My old customers would be flabbergasted to see what I’m doing now.

3. How long have you been an artist?
I still cringe embarrassment at calling myself an ‘artist’, but I’ve been experimenting with
pencils, paint and paper off and on for about 16 years, though only seriously for the last three.

4. What other interests do you have beside your art?
I’ve been writing poetry for my own amusement since 1993. Some of which is
posted on Red Bubble. Humour is my main theme for all of my writing. My interest in art
began when I started to illustrate some of these poems.
I have always had a soft spot for animals, and my son and I share our house with three
guinea pigs, Hattie, Lou and Treacle and (sadly) only one rabbit now called Noddy. Big Ears passed away last November.

5. What is your favorite work of art in your portfolio and why?
Blimey, this is such a difficult question! I couldn’t pick one, because each has been a kind of therapy to complete. I’ve picked a few out to show with this piece.

6. What has been your greatest accomplishment as an artist up to date?
I’m afraid I don’t have any exhibitions nor national acclaim to brag about, but I did get such a buzz from selling my first canvas print. It was bought by a local restaurant owner in my home town of South Shields. I was so pleased; I gave him two others for free. (Whether he wanted them or not!!)

7. Do you have an artist that you admire? If so who and why?
I really like humour in art, and love the late Beryl Cook’s larger ladies. On Red Bubble, I so admire Karen Hull, Michael Jones, Andy Beck and Chris Carrs.

8. What are your dreams, goals and aspirations as an artist?
I think every artist aspires to be recognised and appreciated, and Red Bubble gives us all a great opportunity to do just that, no matter who we are or where we come from. Talent
speaks volumes, and that’s how it ought to be.

9. How does being a creative person and pursuing your creativity affect other aspects of your life?
I don’t know about other artists, but I find I’m quite obsessive once I start on a piece, and I can get pretty irritable when life interferes with the creative process. I’m forever feeling guilty for not giving my son all of my attention every moment of the day, even though I know I make a more contented parent by allowing myself time out to draw and paint. That’s how I justify it anyway!

10. Does a blank canvas scare you as an artist?
Absolutely! Once I get beyond the half-way mark, I get slightly more relaxed, but that
initial starting block is always terrifying.

11. If you had to identify something in your work that you’d like to improve, what would it be?
I am so critical of everything I do, and I think you never stop learning, but I would like to
break out of my comfort zone and try some new mediums and subjects. Be a bit more
adventurous maybe.

Susan van Zyl Susan van Zyl 642 posts

Congratulations, Margaret!

FineEtch FineEtch 203 posts

Congratulations Margaret. I loved reading your interview. Our 5 year old son also has autism (as well as a few other things) and I find art to be a great escape too. You are a wonderful artist.

Elisabeta Hermann Elisabeta Hermann 5256 posts

Margaret!!!
Your work is BEAUTIFUL and full of Love and Soul!!!

Betty

Margaret Sanderson Margaret Sande... 148 posts

Thank you Susan, Jo and Elisabeta for your kind words. This has been a lovely surprise for me.
XXX

GEORGE SANDERSON GEORGE SANDERSON 38 posts

Well done Margaret !!! a well deserved win !!
keep up the good work !

Fran Webster Fran Webster 8 posts

Well done Margaret, Fabulous winning image. I really enjoyed reading your interview.

Thank you George and Fran for stopping to take a look. Your comments are most appreciated!

Marilyns Marilyns 82 posts

congratulations Margaret !! i loved to look at your wonderful art and read your interview ! all your artworks , even of different styles , are at the same high level of talent :)

Thanks so much Marilyn for your lovely comments!