Pre-Order your iPhone 6 case now!

Apophysis Tutorial Fun

Working together to learn, teach, create and have fun!

Volume 5 - Escher Stained Glass

Jaclyn Hughes Jaclyn Hughes 5295 posts

It’s the moment we have all been waiting for! Are you ready?

This tutorial is the Escher Stained Glass by SaTaNiA on DA.

Tutorial Tips:
Plugins Needed: Escher, Rectangles (loonie is optional)

VERY IMPORTANT: The creator, Damien, saved this as a .png file not a jpeg. So it has a transparent background. You will probably want to open this in your art programs and give it a white background so you can read it without any problems.

Set your scale around 10 to start.
Set your gamma to 5

Play with the escher variables on Xform 2, make minor changes and see major difference in your shape & design

Play with your weights on Xform 3

In order not to have a mono color (single color) looking image you have to play with the color speed (on the color tab) on each xform. And when you do, make small changes like 0.3, 0.5, something like that.

To remove the hole in the center of your work, you will want to move around Xform 2 and the Final Xform

This tutorial has some fabulous potential. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

Here is your easy button for your convenience!

Have fun & good luck!

happypattern happypattern 332 posts

Oh fantastic, I’ve already got Escher in my collection. Thank you so much for this exciting tutorial Jackie. Can’t wait to have a go :-))x

Filipa Nunes Filipa Nunes 691 posts

Ok, mono colour is avoided with small changes in direct colouring? I tell you, that is a hard one. I’ve been having troubles with it.

Kiddies, play with weights in Xform 2 too. Really. But try big values. Small haven’t worked for me yet.
Be careful when playing with the variables here. Xform 2 is very sensitive to big variations, as Jackie said.

And Jackie:

FINALLY!

You know I couldn’t stay put when Damien places a new tutorial. It is stronger than me.

LOL

Now it is officially open and I’m officially playing with it.

:D

You’re very welcome Sylvia, I am rendering one now and this really does have potential… especially with the members we have! :)

I know you have you lil shit lmao I saw you asking Damien the same thing on DA. Can you say BUSTED! lmaoooo

Xform 2 won’t give you any good shape with anything less than 75 in weight. The higher the weight, the more detail. Had a hard time with that one Friday and fell asleep at the pc messing with it. lmao And today been fussing with the mono issue, direct coloring fixed that one. :)

Well, I wasn’t afraid to get Busted. I know you are there too (saw your comments in the tutorial prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) but I did as you requested and only started playing with it today. I was kinda hoping you would chose this one to be our next tutorial and I didn’t want to submit anything before you let the “next” tutorial known. =P

I also played with the direct colouring but I guess I’m choosing the wrong gradients. Maybe I have to choose a more frequent one, so when the speed of the colouring changes, there is a new colour nearby.

Still, I’ll not submit any new piece today. I will leave that honour to you, as I’ve promised I wouldn’t show anything before time.

:P

I know but I gotta mess with ya. And Yes I am rendering one now, should be done around an hour and I will put mine up for all to follow! :)

Fiery-Fire Fiery-Fire 3793 posts

Escher !!! you say – omg …fine – was not a big fun of that one, but it is very versatile & can make decent abstracts too …will give it a go :)))
good thing escher renders fast – let me look what Damian put in his tuto LOL, escher is DragonWinter specialty & there is tons of tricks you can do there ;)
Off to work again ….yikes fractal mommy Jaclyn LOL

omg im such an idiot…. I will add the edit above, NOT DIRECT COLORING…. COLOR SPEED!!! SORRY!! see what you did Filipa lol

Ouuu Jaclyn, your button on front page goes to Tuto#4 LOL, girl you make me go thru forums ….lol

Can’t wait to see what you are going to do Iwona. DragonWinter does have a great work on Escher yes. I think I will have a look at it. Again. :P

Hey! lol Simmer down sally I’m working on it! lmao

There it’s done :op And since you wanna give the President/fractal mommy/coach hell, give me 2 escher’s Ms Iwona. lmao

Virginia N. Fred Virginia N. Fred 875 posts

I cant wait to give this one a go, man I have to cook dinner now, guess I cant starve the family, hmmm thought about it ok oook I will open a new Apo am rendering one fromt he old Tutorial, am I rambling, prolly oh well yeaaaaa so excited, good luck everyone

Honest to god, for some techniques I have my own tricks …but I gotta rummage thru my tons of params LOL
I have so many files, I always fail, when try to locate things LOL
Yes Natalie is the queen of escher LOL – it’s her fave style, that and julians :))) I’m going to have a look as well….I think Platinus had a tuto on glass as well or a chat log, if I find it – I will post a link here for all ;)

Fine , fine – let me see, what I have what’s escher ….I know I have at least one I really like here on RB ;)

Oh no missy, Escher from this tut!

Glows of spark fairy

that was my fave !!! hmmm….I know I have bubble there instead of rectangles ;) and some doubled up xforms ;))))

Here is my first one from the tutorial.

Escher Spiral Stained Glass
by Jaclyn Hughes

Jaclyn – I have a tip (ok, I have read the tuto & satania is using same technique as ….my sparks lol)
on T3 if you put guassian blur between 0.01 to 0.5 instead of making it blur or pre_blur high value as he has you get nice glows
and more shapes ;)

okie dokie thanx for that hun. :)

Here’s another one :)

Abstract Escher
by Jaclyn Hughes

Last one i have so far.

Escher Blossom
by Jaclyn Hughes

Virginia N. Fred Virginia N. Fred 875 posts

Here’s my first work, I moved the triangles and used the butterfly variation on FX, rendered with a white b/g

Butterfly
by Virginia N. Fred

Beautiful work hun!

Pam Amos Pam Amos 3611 posts

Hi guys…I’ve started this tutorial and I’m having problems…..following the first two steps all I get is a very scant spiral stick shape…nothing at all like the full picture shown in the tutorial…..I have apophysis 7×........ is this tutorial suitable for this?
I’ve repeated steps 1 and 2 three times and get the same result each time……
I’ve followed the instructions and have the gamma set at 5 and scale 10…any hints much appreciated….. thanks ….. :)