Apophysis Tutorial Fun

Working together to learn, teach, create and have fun!

Volume 1 - Elliptic Splits

Jaclyn Hughes Jaclyn Hughes 5308 posts

This first tutorial is the Splits Elliptic by our good friend Fiery-Fire and SaTaNiA

This tutorial is the first one I posted in my journal, but decided to bring it to the group. So if you created something from this tutorial, please feel free to add it to the group and add it to this forum. Any tips & tricks, bring those along with you!

One small tip… I have noticed with these tutorials that you really don’t see what you are creating for the first several steps. If you adjust your gamma to 5 and change your scale to like 10-15, and maybe change the gradient as well, you can see more of what you are doing. Before I did that, I didn’t see ANYTHING after the first 4 steps.

Don’t forget to put the tutorial & creator in your artist description!

Show me those Elliptic Splits! Good luck!

Here is that Easy Button for your convenience!

Here’s my first two. I had so much fun with these 2.

And here is the third and fourth ones I did. The Heart was created by using the xheart in the final transform.

viennablue viennablue 2410 posts

Hi Jackie, here are some of the flames created from the splits/elliptic tutorial, I have copied this from your original journal entry

I do not have the bi-polar plugin so I used spherical on the final xform. This gave me a nice image but was to far away.

I moved the fxform upwards on the triangle tabl 0.1×4 times. This gave a beautiful form, but I felt it was still too symmetrical, I found by moving the fxform along a horizonal axis the form moved away from being symmetrical

they have come up much larger than expected …..

here are some more …

I found Aposhack Plugins Pack and download it, dragged and dropped ‘bi-polar’ and had some fun this afternoon. I started off with the basic flame, by chance stumbled on a good gradient and was able to see the flame after 2 xforms, which has never happened before. it was all one colour so moved the transform colour on xform2 to 0.792 and all the colours in the gradient came into life. It seems that this value does very much depend on the gradient one is using.

I was able to use Peggi’s explanation of the ‘1:3 ratio’ on pxform3 and also scaled down xform3 110×8 times before adding the pxform.

Added fxform and removed linear 3D, added bi-polar = 2, on triangle tab I scaled up 110×1 time.

A nice flame appeared but again quite distant

scaled the image up from 10 to 30 with scale in the adjustments

on xform 1, triangle tab, scale down 111×10 times. I was not happy with the distribution of the colour and decided to change the transform colour again on xform2 to 0.299, I am glad I did as this gave me this lovely pearlesecent pink and blue

I then played around with the fxform, making it bigger, smaller, moving it to different points.

Will post the flames into the new group, hope this is some help to any new apo users, I know when I first used it I was totally in the dark, but working through this tutorial with Jackie, Peggi, and David has helped me so much. Looking forwrd to the next one. hugs vienna

I copied the above by the exclaimation mark>URL>exclaimation mark way as they were screenshots I made while doing the tutorial. Now I am trying the ‘easy button’. This piece is ‘Black Bloom’.

Created from the splits/elliptic tutorial.

Yeah!! it worked, you learn something new every day in the group, thanks Jackie and Peggi

wolfepaw wolfepaw 1255 posts

Those are gorgeous! I love the Black Bloom! Very unusual and nicely rendered!

wolfepaw wolfepaw 1255 posts

Here are some of mine from your journal and a new one.

Here’s the one I didn’t put in the journal:

This is one of my favorite styles and for the most part this tutorial is very well written. The only part of it that might be a little unclear is the “1:3 ratio” mentioned for the “cylinder” transforms. That means that on the Transform tab, for the Reset Post-transform coordinates, if the X coordinates are 1, 0, then the Y coordinates need to be 0, 3. I asked this question directly of Satania and that was the answer I got. It just means your 0, Y side is 3 times longer than your O, X side. I hope this clears that up a little.

No problem Jacqui… at least when they are bigger you can see them! lol The easy button is a wonderful toy.

Peggi… I am soooo loving that Rainbow Elliptic Splits. WOW!

You are all kicking butt with this tutorial. I played a lil during the superbowl with my niece showing her how to use Apo. Get them started young I say! lol

Another trick for someone that may not know…..

when you have an image like Jacqui has, where the image seems distant…. you can play with the triangle tab to change the sizes but I usually change the scale. Do not use the zoom cause that will give you eternal renders from hell. lol If you have the zoom set at 0, then you can adjust the scale bringing the image closer to you the same way zoom does. It works so much better. I don’t usually have longer than 1hr and maybe 15 minute renders anymore thanks to that. :)

The second piece I created with my niece Hailey while watching the superbowl! :)

I like both of these, but especially the first one with the yellow chiffon viel drifting through the red forms, very nice

Thank you very much Jacqui… I am enjoying this tutorial. I’m trying not to make too many pieces, but at the same time I like giving it a try and doing something different.

You have been kicking some serious butt yourself girl.

I hope everyone else is enjoying it as much! I have the next one already picked out. Will post it this weekend. :)

Fiery-Fire Fiery-Fire 3749 posts

OK – I don’t think I’m going to “redo” my own params & tutorial
LOL (at least not this time) but here is some I made, and they on RB :))))

simple splits-elliptic with ngon of FX – very cool results

lol Iwona, it’s ok. Like I said, if you already used the tutorial on the work before, they are just as welcome to the group. These are both very beautiful pieces of work. Really loving that design on Emboss.

The ngon is going to be one we try soon, but I think I will let the splits and elliptic go for at least the next tutorial. I think it has scared a few people. lmao

Thanx for joining in on the fun too! hugs

Ok great using the “easy button”

Vision Thing
by Fiery-Fire

omg – I made tons of those …at one point good thing they not all on RB LOL

Karino
by Fiery-Fire

Golden wings
by Fiery-Fire

fun to make – linked transforms (xaos splits) using cell ;) that was a bit of work lol

Crystaline
by Fiery-Fire

Playful
by Fiery-Fire

god knows what I did in this one ….gosh …2yrs ago I think I scaled up the cylinder lol

Arizona mirage
by Fiery-Fire

LOL – Thanks Jaclyn , I promise to be good at next tutorial lol
I just did this one …till cows come home and now I have sooo many of them I could fill-up the gallery LOL

Awesome idea for the group !!
I myself am a huge believer in learning & having fun ;))))

Damn! You go girl! Looks like you enjoyed working with it as well.

Thank you very much. I’m really glad that people are enjoying it. lol And I hold you to that promise! lol Nothing better than having fun and learning something while getting to do artwork.

I have been having way too much fun. INCOMING! lmao
Elliptic Star – I tried the julian2 on final xform – I like this one :)
Eternal Flame – Tried something different here on the final xform – Horseshoe… i like it.. hope you do!

X Marks the Split – Got some bi-polar and cross on the final xform :)
Boarder Splits – Colorful and weird lol Boarders added to final xform

Meet Mrs. Elliptic. lol She’s one sexy chick lol And of course for a sexy chick, her final xform is bipolar! lol Enjoy cause I had so much fun.

fabulous work Jackie, they are all so beautiful, but I really love the star shaped one, the blue/green combination is gorgeous :-)