!Altered by Imagination - Open for Submissions ✦2 per day - one per day✦

✦!Altered by Imagination✦ Open for Submissions ~ 2 Submission Per Day => If you submit more than 2 (TWO) it will be rejected

FEATURED ARTIST September 2012 ~ Chris Armytage

Rhonda Strickland Rhonda Strickland 4160 posts

FEATURED ARTIST
September 2012

Chris Armytage

I am so excited because Chris has agreed to be our FEATURED ARTIST this month. Please join in & let us know which of her works you love the most…

Here is Chris’s bio so you can learn a bit more about her. . . in her own words:

I’ve always loved photography. When I was very young, I borrowed my mother’s old Box Brownie camera, being very careful not to waste film which was expensive, so every click of the shutter had to count. Then I won a Kodak Instamatic camera in a drawing competition when I was about 10 and I was over the moon, I had my very own camera which I made good use of until I started work and could afford an upgrade to an Agfa 35mm SLR which I bought second-hand from a friend at work.

Just recently I was thrilled to discover that my great-great aunt Ada way back in the 1880s, was photographing and documenting daily life in and around her Melbourne home with the equipment of the day. Her photographs are extraordinary, all the more so because photography was in it’s infancy then and the equipment was complicated and cumbersome. I’m sure she would be amazed at the DSLRs and digital manipulation programs we use today.

I use a Canon EOS450D (mainly for close-up shots with the 50-250 telephoto, because I love the DoF) and, for landscapes, my old Panasonic FZ because of the wonderful clarity of its Leica lens. I taught myself how to use Photoshop CS3, firstly by experimenting and then from a textbook by Deke McClelland, and I am still using that for my manipulations, although hoping to upgrade soon.

My work has progressed in no particular order, but it has always been a joy. I get lost in the moment and hours go by without my noticing. I work intuitively and prefer to mainly use my own textures, although I do occasionally add a stock texture or image if appropriate.

Although I now live 200 kilometers inland, beside a long extinct volcano and surrounded by lakes and mountains, I still long for the island beaches of my childhood and many of my images reflect that nostalgia.

But no matter where I happen to be, I am always inspired by my natural surroundings and also to an enormous degree by my you, my fellow Bubblers and friends, who have freely shared your knowledge and encouragement over the years. Having been an RB member since May 2007, I’ve been here almost since the start and been awed by so many amazingly talented artists, not least our two hosts, Rhonda and Polly who give so much time and energy to this inspirational group.

Focussed
by Chris Armytage™

And for my favourite image, I thought that Focussed would be appropriate, because the original straight from the camera version was the first image I ever posted on RB. It was a fave from the very beginning, because it reflected my childhood love of the sea, but also because the sparkles from the setting sun on the water were not added by a star filter – the Leica lens of my Panasonic, rather than flaring, created these wonderful sun bursts on the highlights. Later on I added some textures which you can see in this version, but you can also see my original image below it if you click on the link.

Here are the first six that I have selected that grabbed my attention today. I think it is safe to say that Chris is a master with the use of texture. Her work is beautifully compelling and full of deep spirit & feeling. Her use of tones & texture is magnificent, bringing out colors, shadows and highlights while creating an atmosphere pure ethereal joy. Please enjoy and don’t forget to join in & share here works you love the most.

The dead tree …
by Chris Armytage™

If I had a purple crayon …
by Chris Armytage™

Good to be alone
by Chris Armytage™

Transparent
by Chris Armytage™

Before the storm …
by Chris Armytage™

Stillness
by Chris Armytage™

*Please enjoy this celebration by joining in & sharing your favorites pieces of Chris’s work here.

♥Rhonda & Polly
SEPTEMBER 2012

Carol and Mike Werner Carol and Mike... 1042 posts

Lovely work, Chris . . . big congrats on the well deserved feature!

polly470 polly470 1088 posts

Chris…you were one of the first people to welcome me on this site, and have, quite frankly, been the one that has inspired me the most…AND you are one fantastic person as well…..love you loads, and here are a few of my favorites…

Fleurs de oboulette
by Chris Armytage™

My heart went out to you when I saw this, and I also thought it was just such a beautiful, personal portrait…...

Portrait of Ralph
by Chris Armytage™

Sunshine and laughter
by Chris Armytage™

Chris Armytage™ Chris Armytage™ 1570 posts

Rhonda, you have chosen some of my most favourite works! And Polly, bless you for choosing my favourite family shots; our dear Ralph, still so badly missed, and Tom’s darling little grand-daughter :)

Thank you both so much for this delightful honour!

Oh, in case you’re wondering – my own upbringing wasn’t anywhere near as exalted as Great-great Aunt Ada’s. Sadly, the family heritage was squandered long before my time, but I was so happy to discover where my creative gene came from :)

Carol Knudsen Carol Knudsen 267 posts

I couldn’t think of anyone more deserving for this honour Chris!!! A truly warm heartfelt Congratulations my friend!!! And I so enjoyed reading the history on Como House and the Armytage family :) x
PS: Hope you and Tom are well and kind regards to you both xx

leonie7 leonie7 660 posts

YOU DESERVE THIS SO MUCH CHRIS AND I AM OVER THE MOON FOR YOU I HAVE PICKED THIS STUNING WORK OF YOURS BECAUSE WE BOTH LOVE THE BEACH AND OCEAN SO MUCH WELL DONE MY DEAR FRIEND LOL ALWAYS LEE

tori yule tori yule 8320 posts

A huge congratulations, Chris
Your work is beautiful.

Thanks so much Carol and Mike, Lee and Tori and Carol Knudsen for your kind words, your friendship and encouragement so appreciated!

Rhonda, I had so much fun creating “Transparent”, the underwater garden with the transparent carp that you have featured. It was during my early days of experimenting in Photoshop using parts of several different images that I’d taken in the same photo shoot. I really must do some more of them, they are so rewarding when they work. Here’s a couple more which I thought you might like to see …

Solitude
by Chris Armytage™

The Journey
by Chris Armytage™

This is a recent image for Lee and Rhonda and all who share my love of the beach … the tiny stick figures in the distance are Tom and Ralph. It was Ralph’s last long walk on the beach – we didn’t know it then but his beautiful big heart was failing and he left us a few weeks later.

So far away from me …
by Chris Armytage™

I love this image Chris.. and such a sweet & sad memory. One of the greatest gifts is to have those memories that are sparked by just one look, and this image does that…

Thank you for sharing…

Rhonda

Here are a few more I just LOVE & wanted to share with everyone… These are AMAZING Chris. . .

Simplicity
by Chris Armytage™

Land of Stillness
by Chris Armytage™

Aussie Crow
by Chris Armytage™

Rhonda
9-12-12

polly470 polly470 1088 posts

Hey Chris! I am back from chasing cows in Ireland and thought I would have a lovely browse and throw in another of my favorites..I love understated elegance…not something I do well, but you do! I look and learn from the master!

Wild Grasses
by Chris Armytage™

Anna Shaw Anna Shaw 7388 posts

What stunning images these are. I love your work Chris, you are so very talented. My congratulations on this lovely feature.

xx
Anna

AuntDot AuntDot 5424 posts

I’ve always admired Chris’ work. It is so innovative. Here is one of my favorites of hers.

Aase Aase 262 posts

Excellent work Chris, congratulations. Thank you so much for look:-)

Angela  Burman Angela Burman 297 posts

So happy for you Chris and so well deserved. Many congratulations My friend x

Annie Lemay  Photography Annie Lemay P... 171 posts

Huge congrats to you Chris! You are an outstanding artist, and it pleases me to see that you receive the acknowledgement you deserve!

Love ya!

XOX

Thank you so much Rhonda and Polly for your lovely words, you two are just the BEST!

Anna, Dot, Aase, Angela and Annie, thank you all so much for stopping by to help me celebrate this wonderful honour. I so appreciate it, you have made my week :)xxxx

Here is one of my very early manipulations – I’ve always loved violets, ever since my Grandfather gave me Ashes of Violets talcum powder for one of my childhood birthdays. I have masses of them growing along the back patio and just love the fabulous waft of perfume when I open the back door. This image reminds me of my Grandfather. If you click on it and scroll down, you can see one of the original images I used to make it.

Violets
by Chris Armytage™

zzsuzsa zzsuzsa 2 posts
Congratulations, Chris

Your work is beautiful!

AnnieSnel AnnieSnel 194 posts

Big congrats on the well deserved feature Chris… your work is very beautiful

Carmen Holly Carmen Holly 302 posts

Congratulations Chris! It is a joy to view your work.

Lynn Starner Lynn Starner 207 posts

Congratulations Chris! Love your work!

anaisanais anaisanais 416 posts

CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS…YOUR WORKS ARE ALWAYS FANTASTIC ..AS YOU… I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED YOUR FABULOUS ART!!!!!
ANNA

This is wonderful!!! Thank you all for stopping by & supporting our FABULOUS FEATURED ARTIST!!!

Rhonda

Cindy Schnackel Cindy Schnackel 4970 posts

Beautiful work, great light and color!