20% off sitewide. Don’t keep your cart waiting. Use SCREAM20

! 100% ! Limit 1 per 24 Hours! - closed for a few days

The 100% best art and photography on Redbubble!

Critique requested

Marc Grossberg Marc Grossberg 525 posts

Rhonda  Thomassen Rhonda Thomassen 300 posts

Mordechai, not sure what critique you may be looking for, but I will investigate :-)
The only thing I see from my perspective is that the elf and the background look like they are from 2 different prints. She looks like she is from a black and white print on a bright color background. What might be pretty is to give the elf body a dark, dark faint color in the skin like a hint of navy or a deep color fo somekind. Maybe color the hair like a deep blue or burgundy or even just some highlights in the hair if you want to leave the skin dark. maybe even some color to the eyes like emeralds.
OR
darken the background in deeper shades to look more like nighttime and not such a stark contrast.

I must say that this is not my specialty, just my unprofessional opinion, right or wrong :-) ) hope it helps and makes sense, I am not always great at describing what I see in my minds eye.

Darkening the background would lose the effect of a night elf in mid day, but the idea of adding a hint of color to the elf to reduce the contrast sounds like a good one. I’ll give it a try. Thank you.

ah ha, mid day, wasn’t sure about that . Curious to see what you come up with :-)

So I am curious what you came up with ;-)

I’m terribly sorry, I should have gotten back to you. Your suggestion of color turned out to be, as our English friends say, “Spot On”! The choice of color (colour..) drove me nuts. But then, from the moment I thought of this composition, it has driven me nuts. Thought of blue hues, but the damn thing looked like a smurf. Remember smurfs? Consider yourself fortunate. Reds were just not in the spirit of the thing, and Moonlight, as I named her, is intended to be very different from my “day” elves. Greens were right out. I had originally steered away from browns because she is not intended to be an elf of African descent. In the end, I had to try browns, hopefully with a mix of greys. The thing is finished, at least until I look at it and see what else I did wrong. Thank you for your help, and your support. Both have been quite valuable.

fantastic! I do remember smurfs, lol! I like what you have done, it ties in the hues and colors and looks uniform. It no longer looks like two different photos. I know it is hard to look at your own work for very long because it can become easier and easier to want to tweak! Nicely done though, I think the greys and browns were perfect!
I think the original disappeared from the first post, I went to compare, but it’s ok,i have a pretty good memory :-)

Searched my computer, found it. Thought I’d overwritten it, or at least hoped I had, but it turns out to be good I didn’t.

Hmm. Never compared them before. Seems I corrected the ankles, changed the tilt of the head, and used a smaller figure in a different position. I also remember now that I went back to the backgound picture ( I do digital. Even the leaf started as a separate picture) and corrected the place were the colors had harsh boundaries.
Like I said, the advice was spot on.

Thanks for putting the original back up :-) Nice job :-)

Can I delete the damn thing now?